Udayavni Special

Air strikes kill 12 civilians in south Syria rebel holdout: Monitor


Team Udayavani, Jul 18, 2018, 12:56 PM IST

Beirut: Unidentified air strikes have killed 12 civilians in a rebel-held pocket of southern Syria as regime ally Russia presses talks for Damascus to retake the area, a monitor said today. The deadly strikes late yesterday hit Nawa, the last town under rebel control in the southern province of Daraa, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.

The Britain-based monitor said it could not determine whether the strikes on the town in the west of the province were carried out by the regime or its Russian ally. The regime has in less than a month retaken more than 90 per cent of Daraa province, which borders Jordan and was the cradle of Syria’s ill-fated 2011 uprising. 

But opposition fighters in Nawa — where tens of thousands of people live — have resisted. After regime forces launched a ferocious offensive on June 19, Russia pressured rebels to hand over eastern parts of the province in early July, and the provincial capital last week. Other towns in the west of the province have also joined the deal. 

“Negotiations were ongoing Wednesday towards Nawa joining the reconciliation deal” with the regime for the wider province, Observatory head Rami Abdel Rahman said. A ceasefire deal announced earlier this month between the regime and rebels in Daraa province did not include jihadists. 

Today, Russian air strikes and regime barrel bombs targeted hills outside Nawa held by the Hayat Tahrir al-Sham group, led by Syria’s former Al-Qaeda affiliate. Heavy air strikes also pounded a southwestern corner of the province controlled by the Islamic State jihadist group. 

After retaking most of Daraa, regime forces on Sunday opened a new front in the neighbouring province of Quneitra, adjacent to the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights. Earlier yesterday, 15 civilians were killed in strikes in both provinces, including 14 in Ain al-Tina village on the administrative border with Quneitra. 

Syria’s conflict has killed more than 350,000 people since it started in 2011 with a brutal crackdown on anti-government protests. The Observatory relies on sources inside Syria for its information, and says it determines who carried out strikes based on aircraft and munitions used, locations and flight patterns.

Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.

Top News

Aryan Khan moves Bombay HC for bail in cruise drugs case

Southwest monsoon to withdraw completely from India around October 26: IMD

Rains: IMD withdraws Orange alert

Cruise drugs case: Special court refuses bail to Aryan Khan

M’luru: Bajrang Dal activists attempt to storm Ivan D’Souza’s residence; detained

Mild earthquake shakes parts of north Karnataka, seventh since Oct 1

Pig-to-human transplants come a step closer with new test

Related Articles More

Queen accepts medical advice to rest for few days

Roadside bombs hit military bus in Syria capital, killing 13

Taliban promise cash, land, to families of suicide bombers

Volcano in southern Japan erupts with massive smoke column

Thanks but no: UK queen turns down “Oldie of the Year” title

MUST WATCH

Mysore Ambaari Bus Trip | Dasara 2021

Elephant Attack at Tibet Camp in Hunsuru

Pady Harvesting Mechine fare hike

Bhoomi Pooja Celebration across the Malenadu

INDIAN ARMY RESCUES THE CIVILIANS STUCK IN NAINITAL FLOODS


Latest Additions

Aryan Khan moves Bombay HC for bail in cruise drugs case

Kerala start-up comes up with anti-virus mask ahead of schools reopening

Southwest monsoon to withdraw completely from India around October 26: IMD

Abhay Sharma set to apply for India fielding coach job

India expected to see higher salary with 9.3 pc hike in 2022: Report

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.