Being married may lower heart disease, stroke risk


Team Udayavani, Jun 19, 2018, 2:46 PM IST

London: Marriage can help protect people from heart diseases or strokes, as well as reduce the risk of death from these conditions, a study claims.

Published in the journal Heart, the study is the largest to date, with the age and ethnicity of the participants strengthening the wider applicability of the findings, researchers said. Previous research on the impact of marital status have yielded somewhat mixed results. In a bid to clarify the issues, scientists trawled research databases for relevant published studies.

About 80 per cent of cardiovascular diseases can be attributed to well known risk factors like age, sex, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, smoking and diabetes. However, it is not clear what influences the remaining 20 per cent. Researchers from Keele University in the UK drew on past research that involved more than 2 million people aged between 42 and 77 from Europe, Scandinavia, North America, the Middle East, and Asia.

Pooled analysis of the data revealed that those who were widowed, divorced or never married were at heightened risk of developing cardiovascular disease and coronary artery heart disease. Not being married was also associated with a heightened risk of dying from both coronary heart disease and stroke.

When the data was further broken down, the analysis showed that divorce was associated with a 35 per cent higher risk of developing heart disease for both men and women, while widowers of both sexes were 16 per cent more likely to have a stroke.

While there was no difference in the risk of death following a stroke between the married and the unmarried, this was not the case after a heart attack, the risk of which was significantly higher, around 42 per cent, among those who had never married.

Researchers cautioned that the methods used and adjustments made for potentially influential factors varied considerably across all the studies, which may have affected the results of their analysis. There was no information on same sex partnerships or the quality of marriage. The potential role of living with someone, as opposed to being married to them, was not explored either.

There are various theories as to why marriage may be protective, researchers said. These include earlier recognition of, and response to, health problems; better adherence to medication, better financial security, enhanced wellbeing, and better friendship networks.

“Future research should focus around whether marital status is a surrogate marker for other adverse health behaviour or cardiovascular risk profiles that underlies our reported findings or whether marital status should be considered as a risk factor by itself,” researchers said. 

Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.

Top News

State government orders probe against IAS officer Rohini Sindhuri

RBI to pay Rs 30,307 crore dividend to govt for FY22

Kundapur: 24-year-old woman goes missing, complaint filed

Mangaluru: Man sexually harasses woman, cheats her of Rs 1.5 cr; Arrested

Karnataka mining: SC permits firms to export excavated iron ores

Canadian MP Chandra Arya speaks in Kannada in Parliament

K’taka govt to constitute 8 task forces to monitor development work in Bengaluru & take decisions during emergency


Related Articles More

Psychedelics: how they act on the brain to relieve depression

Can sniffer dogs really detect COVID almost as well as a PCR test? Turns out they can

Glenmark Pharma gets final USFDA nod for generic version of Abiraterone Acetate tabs

Natural immunity from Omicron infection weak, limited, study finds

Colours and their Language

MUST WATCH

SSC Result : Sirsi Governament School Students Achivement

Important Health Tips Must Watch

NEWS BULLETIN 19-05-2022

Storks enjoy agriculture activity

Heavy rain at Shivamogga Road block


Latest Additions

State government orders probe against IAS officer Rohini Sindhuri

MP: Man accused of luring away girl reaches police station to tell he has consumed poison, dies in hospital later

RBI to pay Rs 30,307 crore dividend to govt for FY22

HC adjourns hearing on Kashi Vishwanath temple-Gyanvapi mosque issue till July 6

BJP considers all Indian languages soul of ‘Bharatiyata’, worthy of reverence: PM Modi

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.