Bomb blast victims sue Indian restaurant in Canada for 6 mn dollars


Team Udayavani, Aug 22, 2018, 4:19 PM IST

Toronto: Victims of a bomb blast in Canada have sued a popular Indian restaurant near here for damages totalling 6 million dollars, alleging that the attack was a result of a “turf war” between business rivals.

On May 24, two persons with their faces covered walked into the Bombay Bhel restaurant at Mississauga in Ontario, where two birthday parties were being celebrated, dropped an improvised explosive device and fled.

The blast, the impact of which was felt more than four kilometres away, wounded 15 people, including two dual Indian-Canadian nationals. No arrest has been made so far and hunt is on to nab the culprits, the CBC News reported.

In a civil lawsuit, six of the 15 blast victims, sought a total of 6 million Canadian dollars (Rs 32.18 crore) from the owners of the restaurant for “severe and permanent injuries”, alleging that the establishment failed to provide proper security amid a “turf war between rival business associates”, the report said.

“The owners of the Bombay Bhel restaurant knew or ought to have known there was an issue with security and that they were targeted,” the report quoted the victims’ lawyer, Darryl Singer, as saying.

The plaintiffs, all of whom are of Indian origin, said they were simply “in the wrong place at the wrong time” and ended up as “carnage in a turf war between individuals we did not even know”.

Each of the victims is seeking 1 million Canadian dollars from Bombay Bhel and the corporation that owns it. As per court documents, the six victims suffered “severe and permanent injuries” which prevented them from returning to work.

About 40 people were inside the restaurant at the time of the blast, many of whom were children under 10. The condition of all the injured is now improved, the report said. 

Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.

Top News

Kundapur: 24-year-old woman goes missing, complaint filed

Mangaluru: Man sexually harasses woman, cheats her of Rs 1.5 cr; Arrested

Karnataka mining: SC permits firms to export excavated iron ores

Canadian MP Chandra Arya speaks in Kannada in Parliament

K’taka govt to constitute 8 task forces to monitor development work in Bengaluru & take decisions during emergency

Bommai plans sudden visit to Delhi; sparks political speculation

Delhi Capitals meet Mumbai Indians in virtual quarter-final, will Arjun Tendulkar get a game finally?


Related Articles More

Canadian MP Chandra Arya speaks in Kannada in Parliament

Mangoes are symbol of friendship between India, US: Ambassador Sandhu

Cargo vessel carrying 1,600 tonnes of wheat from India sinks in Bangladesh river: officials

Afghan Taliban order women TV anchors to cover their faces

Chicago entrepreneur jailed for a year for illegally exporting computer equipment to Pakistan

MUST WATCH

SSC Result : Sirsi Governament School Students Achivement

Important Health Tips Must Watch

NEWS BULLETIN 19-05-2022

Storks enjoy agriculture activity

Heavy rain at Shivamogga Road block


Latest Additions

BJP considers all Indian languages soul of ‘Bharatiyata’, worthy of reverence: PM Modi

Govt’s 8 years devoted to development, don’t fall in trap of opposition’s ‘ecosystem’: Modi, asks BJP to fix goals for next 25 yrs

Kundapur: 24-year-old woman goes missing, complaint filed

Mangaluru: Man sexually harasses woman, cheats her of Rs 1.5 cr; Arrested

On first anniversary of his govt, Kerala CM affirms to implement Silver Line rail corridor

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.