British Olympic Association angered by athletes’ legal action


PTI, Dec 11, 2019, 9:55 AM IST

London: The British Olympic Association has said it was dismayed by the decision of a group of athletes to pursue legal action while holding talks regarding the International Olympic Committee’s controversial Rule 40.

The regulation restricts the deals athletes can strike for themselves during a specific period in and around the Games, with the aim to protect IOC and national team sponsors from their commercial rivals.

British sprinter Adam Gemili, however, has labelled the rule “ridiculous, unjust and unfair” ahead of next year’s Olympic Games in Tokyo.

There are 20 names listed on a legal letter sent to the BOA last month but the governing body on Tuesday said it would contest any action because of its duty to all Olympic sport in Britain.

“The BOA can confirm it has formally responded to the recent legal challenge brought against the BOA’s interpretation of the IOC’s Rule 40 in the UK,” it said in a statement.

The BOA added it had enjoyed a “positive meeting” last week with representatives of the athletes who had challenged Rule 40 and remained open to a resolution that balanced the need for individual athletes to maximise their income while defending a system that has sold rights collectively on behalf of all of Team GB, including “smaller” sports and “less high-profile athletes.”

Officials insisted that despite “encouraging” conversations they had been “dismayed by the ongoing legal tactics being conducted in the background” and would respond robustly in defence of all those served by the BOA, a not-for-profit independent organisation that receives no tax payer or British government funds.

Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.

Top News

14th century Kannada stone inscription found in Udupi

SC to hear on Oct 12 pleas challenging Centre’s 2016 decision to demonetise currency notes

Delhi HC grants bail to Chitra Ramkrishna, Anand Subramanian in NSE co-location case

‘PFI ban a message to ‘anti-national groups’ that they will not survive in India’

UP: 8 killed, 14 injured in head-on collision between bus, mini truck

“Historical decisive action”: Araga Jnanendra on centre’s ban on PFI, 5 others for terror links

Govt has banned “subversive and divisive organization”; now its society’s turn: C T Ravi


Related Articles More

England “offers” to be neutral venue for Indo-Pak Test series; BCCI “not interested”

Facing new ball quite a challenge in India: Bavuma

India cricketer Taniya Bhatia claims she was robbed in London hotel

Want to give Karthik more game time ahead of WC: Rohit

India beat Australia by six wickets in 3rd T20I, clinch series 2-1

MUST WATCH

Sunil Kumar Statement about PFI

Dasara Celebration at Uchila Mahalakshmi Temple

Kollur Mookambika

President Draupadi murmu inaugurates Mysore Dasara-2022

Creative PU College Moodabidri


Latest Additions

Now-banned PFI was under radar of govt agencies for long

14th century Kannada stone inscription found in Udupi

SC to hear on Oct 12 pleas challenging Centre’s 2016 decision to demonetise currency notes

Delhi HC grants bail to Chitra Ramkrishna, Anand Subramanian in NSE co-location case

Actor Mahesh Babu’s mother Indira Devi passes away

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.