Udayavni Special

China officially admits five military officers, soldiers killed in Galwan clash with Indian Army


PTI, Feb 19, 2021, 10:04 AM IST

 

Beijing: Five Chinese military officers and soldiers were killed in last year’s Galwan Valley clash in eastern Ladakh with the Indian Army, the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) officially acknowledged for the first time on Friday.

Five Chinese frontier officers and soldiers stationed in the Karakoram Mountains have been recognised by the Central Military Commission of China (CMC) for their sacrifice in the border confrontation with India, which occurred in the Galwan Valley in June 2020, the PLA Daily, the official newspaper of the Chinese military reported on Friday.

Those killed included Qi Fabao, the regimental commander from the PLA Xinjiang Military Command, state-un Global Times quoted PLA Daily report as saying.

A total of 20 Indian soldiers died in the Galwan Valley clash on June 15, regarded as the worst in over four decades at the India-China border.

The CMC, the overall high command of the PLA headed by President Xi Jinping,has awarded Qi Fabao, the regimental commander from the PLA Xinjiang Military Command, the title of “Hero regimental commander for defending the border,” Chen Hongjun with “Hero to defend the border,” and awarded first-class merit to Chen Xiangrong, Xiao Siyuan and Wang Zhuoran.

This is the first time China has acknowledged casualties and details of these officers and soldiers’ sacrifice, four of whom died when dealing with the Indian military’s “illegal trespassing” of the Galwan Valley Line of Actual Control (LAC), the report said.

A total of 20 Indian soldiers died in the Galwan Valley clash regarded as the worst in over four decades at the India-China border.

While India has announced the casualties immediately after the incident, China did not officially acknowledge the casualties until Friday.

The Russian official news agency TASS reported on February 10 that 45 Chinese servicemen were killed in the Galwan Valley clash.

Qian Feng, director of the research department at the National Strategy Institute at Tsinghua University, told the Global Times that China unveiled the details of the incident to refute previous “disinformation” that stated China suffered greater casualties than India or China incited the incident.

The admission of the casualties by the PLA coincides with the disengagement of troops by both sides at the North and South banks of the Pangong Lake, the most contentious part of the standoff which began in May last year.

Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.

Top News

SC directs private hospitals to give priority in treatment to elderly amid pandemic

Rahul accuses Modi govt of carrying out raids against those who are pro-farmers

Udupi: SIM card ported without customers knowledge; fraud suspected

Bomb threat at Taj Mahal, tourists evacuated

Spike in daily COVID-19 cases, India records over 17,000 new infections

Petrol price can come down to Rs 75 if brought under GST, but there is lack of political will: SBI Economists

Kambala Holiday Package for Bengalureans



Related Articles More

SC directs private hospitals to give priority in treatment to elderly amid pandemic

Rahul accuses Modi govt of carrying out raids against those who are pro-farmers

Bomb threat at Taj Mahal, tourists evacuated

Kasaragod: Coast Guard rescues fishermen stranded in deep sea

Spike in daily COVID-19 cases, India records over 17,000 new infections

MUST WATCH

Forest fire at Nagarhole Tiger Reserve

What are the health problems caused by tight-fitting clothes?

Udayavani 03-March-2021 News Bulletin | Udayavani

Central prison in Mudipu will be completed within two years: DGP Alok Kumar

Udayavani 02-March-2021 News Bulletin | Udayavani

Latest Additions

SC directs private hospitals to give priority in treatment to elderly amid pandemic

Rahul accuses Modi govt of carrying out raids against those who are pro-farmers

Udupi: SIM card ported without customers knowledge; fraud suspected

Bomb threat at Taj Mahal, tourists evacuated

Kasaragod: Coast Guard rescues fishermen stranded in deep sea

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.