Udayavni Special

China restaurant apologises for weighing customers


Team Udayavani, Aug 15, 2020, 5:44 PM IST

Beijing: A restaurant in China has apologised for its controversial policy of asking diners to weigh themselves before entry in an overzealous response to a new national campaign against food waste.

The beef restaurant in the central city of Changsha was heavily criticised on Chinese social media as soon as it unveiled the policy on Friday.

Customers were asked to stand on scales and scan their data into an app that recommended food choices based on their weight and the dishes’ calorific value, according to a report by the state-run China News Service.

President Xi Jinping this week urged the nation to stop wasting food, as the coronavirus pandemic and serious flooding last month have led to a rise in food prices.

In response, regional catering groups have urged customers to order one dish fewer than the number of diners at a table — an attempt to overturn the ingrained cultural habit of ordering extra food for group meals.

Signs were displayed in the beef restaurant reading “be thrifty and diligent, promote empty plates” and “operation empty plate” — referring to the nationwide campaign — according to photos published in local media.

In a swift backlash, hashtags related to the incident have been viewed over 300 million times on the social platform Weibo.

The restaurant said it was “deeply sorry” for its interpretation of the anti-waste campaign.

“Our original intentions were to advocate stopping waste and ordering food in a healthy way. We never forced customers to weigh themselves,” it said in an apology posted online on Saturday morning.

Chinese state media has also waged war on viral binge-eating videos, known as “mukbang”, while live-streaming platforms have promised to shut down accounts promoting excess eating and food wastage.

Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.

Top News

PM Modi speaks to Maharashtra chief minister on COVID-19 situation in state

World’s largest cargo plane leaves for India with 3 Oxygen plants from UK

Govt revises COVID-19 test rules for people arriving in State

DK receives 3,400 doses of Covishield vaccine; People waiting for second dose to be prioritized

70 per cent Covishield stock for vaccination of 45-plus age- group due for 2nd dose in K’taka

‘Will demolish the virus’: Kangana Ranaut tests positive for Covid

Two MIT students selected for the prestigious Knight-Hennessy Scholarships



Related Articles More

World’s largest cargo plane leaves for India with 3 Oxygen plants from UK

Palestinians, Israel police clash at Al-Aqsa mosque; 53 hurt

US govt doing everything it can to help India fight COVID-19, says official

WHO official: Few restrictions accelerates virus

Accused arms dealer Sanjay Bhandari bail in UK extradition case extended to May 13

MUST WATCH

Belagavi’s Legislator Ramesh Jarakiholi appeared after many days

Inform the CM of the required quota for your district : Pratap Simha

Udayavani 7 -May -2021 News Bulletin

Mangalore Fatal Bike Accident Caught on CCTV

Home Isolation Guidelines | Shashikiran Umakanth

Latest Additions

Sonowal, Himanta called to Delhi; next Assam CM to be named today

Kejriwal demands 2.6 crore vaccine doses for inoculation of all in Delhi in next three months

PM Modi speaks to Maharashtra chief minister on COVID-19 situation in state

What does the antibody cocktail approved by India contain and how does it work?

World’s largest cargo plane leaves for India with 3 Oxygen plants from UK

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.