China’s coronavirus death toll crosses 2,300

WHO team to visit Wuhan

Team Udayavani, Feb 22, 2020, 1:53 PM IST

Beijing: The death toll in China’s novel coronavirus climbed to 2,345 with 109 more deaths reported, while the confirmed cases rose to 76,288 as a team of WHO experts, currently in the country to investigate the COVID-19 outbreak, is expected to visit the worst-affected Wuhan city on Saturday, Chinese health officials said.

A total of 397 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 were reported on Friday, while 109 deaths were reported from 31 provincial-level regions, the Chinese health authority said on Saturday.

By the end of Friday, a total of 2,345 people died of the disease and 76,288 confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection had been reported from all over the country, a daily report from the National Health Commission (NHC) said on Saturday.

Among the deaths, 106 were from the Hubei Province, the epicentre of the virus, one each from Hebei province, Shanghai and Xinjiang, it said.

Hubei Province reported 366 new confirmed cases and 106 new deaths on Friday, the provincial health commission said Saturday.

The latest report brought the total confirmed cases in the hard-hit province to 63,454, it said.

All over China, 20,659 patients infected with the virus have been discharged from hospital after recovery by the end of Friday, NHC said.

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told media in Geneva on Friday that the WHO-led team of international experts, currently in China to investigate the coronavirus outbreak, will travel Wuhan on Saturday.

The 12-member team, which arrived in China on Monday, was initially designated to visit only Beijing, Guangdong and Sichuan provinces, while the worst-affected Hubei province and its capital Wuhan were missing from the list.

However, the team was finally given permission to visit Wuhan by the Chinese government.

Besides controlling the spread of the virus, a major task of the WHO team along with their Chinese counterparts was to come up with a standard medicine to cure the disease.

Tedros said WHO is also working with partners to safeguard the health of the members of the team and take appropriate measures when they return to their countries of origin.

The WHO team includes US specialists, according to Chinese officials.

Chinese President Xi Jinping warned the ruling Communist party officials on Friday that the virus is yet to peak as it has spread to prisons across the country.

The coronavirus epidemic had not reached its peak despite a drop in the daily number of infections, state broadcaster CCTV quoted Xi as saying at a meeting of the Communist party’s Politburo on Friday.

He said that the situation in Hubei was still serious.

“The battles to defend Hubei and Wuhan should be well fought, and measures should be taken to contain the spread of the outbreak,” Xi was quoted as saying by the Hong Kong-based South China Morning Post.

It is expected that once the virus peaks, it will begin to abate.

Also, much to the horror of health officials, the disease has now spread to five Chinese prisons in the provinces of Hubei, Shandong and Zhejiang where 447 cases of the virus have been reported, He Ping, an official in-charge of the Bureau of Prison Administration of the Ministry of Justice told media here on Friday.

This led to the sacking of officials in nearly a dozen prisons and the justice department, state-run Global Times reported.

He pledged all-out efforts to quarantine suspected cases and their close contacts and timely treatment for all of those confirmed of the virus.

 

Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.

Top News

397 COVID-19 cases, four deaths in Karnataka

18 die when bus heading to wedding swept into river in Kenya

Cluster declaration if 3 cases are found: CM Bommai

Delhi airport sets up 20 counters for int’l flyers who have pre-booked Covid test to ease ‘chaos’

BCCI increases age limit for match officials, support staff to 65 years

India 332 runs ahead against New Zealand

Veteran journalist Vinod Dua no more


Related Articles More

Indian-American mathematician among three selected for inaugural Ciprian Foias Prize

Court mulls: Was Trump’s reply to rape claim part of job?

WHO says no Omicron deaths yet as variant spreads worldwide

Singapore says Omicron not more severe than other variants as of now

Court hears arguments in Trump rape accuser’s lawsuit

MUST WATCH

Traditional ‘Kambala’ Buffalo race at koorgi Hosamata

Udayavani News Bulletin 04-12-2021

HOW IS THE GOVERNMENT SUPPORTING THE FARMERS?

Leopard found in Bantwala

Former CM Siddaramiah Escort vehicle Accident at Chikkamagaluru


Latest Additions

397 COVID-19 cases, four deaths in Karnataka

18 die when bus heading to wedding swept into river in Kenya

Cong govt in Rajasthan has completely lost its credibility: BJP state chief

Chadha cruises to comfortable six-shot win

Cluster declaration if 3 cases are found: CM Bommai

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.