Condition of 8 infected Indians on board quarantined cruise ship improving: Embassy


Team Udayavani, Feb 21, 2020, 5:17 PM IST

Tokyo: The condition of eight Indians, who were on board the cruise ship off the Japanese coast and undergoing treatment for the deadly coronavirus, is improving as the last batch of healthy passengers was set to disembark the vessel on Friday after the quarantine period ended.

The ship, Diamond Princess, docked at the Yokohama port, near Tokyo, on February 3 with 3,711 passengers and crew on board. It was quarantined after a passenger who disembarked last month in Hong Kong was found to be the carrier of the disease.

A total of 138 Indians, including 132 crew and 6 passengers, were among the 3,711 people on board the ship.

The Indian embassy said in a tweet that no additional Indian national onboard the ship has tested positive for the virus since Thursday.

“Conditions of 8 Indians receiving treatment are improving,” it tweeted on Friday.

The Indian mission said it was coordinating with the Japanese authorities and ship management company for the safe return of the Indians.

According to an AP report on Friday, the ship has the largest cluster of COVID-19 cases outside China. A total of 634 people tested positive of the disease. Two former passengers of the ship have also died.

Health Minister Katsunobu Kato told reporters that mass disembarkation of passengers from the ship was set to end on Friday.

According to a report in Japan Today newspaper, over 400 passengers from the ship were scheduled to depart on Friday.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said that over 1,000 passengers and crew will remain on board the ship after Friday’s disembarkations.

Some of the passengers with no infection began leaving the ship on Wednesday after the end of a two-week quarantine period that failed to stop the spread of the virus among passengers and crew.

Meanwhile, the death toll in the novel coronavirus in China has gone up to 2,236 with 118 more casualties reported, mostly from the hard-hit Hubei province, while the overall confirmed infection cases have climbed to 75,465, Chinese health officials said on Friday.

The virus outbreak originated in China’s Hubei province in December and has spread to more than 25 countries, including India.

Many countries have banned arrivals from China while major airlines have suspended flights to the country.

Top News

SC asks Centre to prevent private labs from charging high fee for COVID-19 testing

This Indian tycoon got richer under Covid 19 lockdown

PM interacts with floor leaders of political parties on health crisis

One more death and 6 new COVID-19 cases in K’taka, total infected 181

Let’s not play into the hands of the virus, tweets K’taka health dept

COVID-19: Cases climb to 5,194, death toll rises to 149: Health Min

Allu Arjun shares poster of his next on birthday, “Pushpa” trends on social media

Related Articles More

French economy shrinks 6% in Q1: Bank of France

Forest fire intensifies in Chernobyl nuclear zone

Paraguay court releases Ronaldinho into house arrest in Asuncion hotel

Pulitzer Prize announcement to be postponed due to pandemic

They’ve been wrong about lot of things: Trump announces to hold on WHO funding

MUST WATCH

COVID-19: Police at frontline get protective face shield

9 Baje 9 min: People light candles, diyas to honour India’s fight against COVID-19

Covid 19: Cong forms dist-level task committee force

Heart of Gold: Helping the needy get free guidance – Dr. Padmanabha Kamath

COVID-19: 5-year-old donates piggy bank for CMRF

Latest Additions

Heath Ledger ‘refused’ to present at Oscars over ‘Brokeback Mountain’ joke, says Jake Gyllenhaal

SC asks Centre to prevent private labs from charging high fee for COVID-19 testing

This Indian tycoon got richer under Covid 19 lockdown

B’luru fights COVID-19: Eight-member group helps poor in city

French economy shrinks 6% in Q1: Bank of France