Udayavni Special

COVID-19: Australia-Zimbabwe ODI series postponed


PTI, Jun 30, 2020, 12:21 PM IST

The One-Day series between Australia and Zimbabwe was on Tuesday, June 30 postponed by mutual agreement between the two boards due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The three-match series was to play in August but Australia is currently grappling with a fresh wave of COVID-19 cases. The country has recorded more than 7,500 positive tests so far, of which a little over 7,000 have recovered with the death toll at 104 currently.

Cricket Australia said the two Boards came to the “mutual conclusion” due to “a combination of factors”.

“Including the short length of the series, the significant bio-security measures that would need to be implemented prior to August, and concern for the health and safety of players, match officials, and volunteers,” read a CA statement.

CA interim chief Nick Hockley said given the factors, postponement seemed to be the right.

“While we are disappointed to postpone the series, CA and Zimbabwe Cricket agree that in the best interest of players, match officials, volunteers as well as our fans, that this is the most practical and sensible decision,” Hockley said.

“We are committed to working with Zimbabwe Cricket on alternative dates to reschedule.”

Australia requires a mandatory 14-day quarantine period for international arrivals.

Zimbabwe has not visited Australia since 2003-04 and in their last ODI meeting, the team from the African nation had beaten Michael Clarke-captained side in a 2014 tri-series played in Harare.

“We were excited about facing Australia but, given the circumstances, deferring the tour was the only possible option,” said Givemore Makoni, Zimbabwe Cricket’s acting managing director.

“We are, however, looking forward to the rescheduling of the series as soon as practically possible,” he added.

Top News

Pilot rebels, says he has support of 30 Cong MLAs in Rajasthan

Aishwarya, Aaradhya to quarantine at home, confirms Abhishek Bachchan

Police officer accused of tipping off Vikas Dubey, moves SC seeking protection

World seeing India’s successful battle against Covid-19 under PM Narendra Modi: Amit Shah

Karnataka records 2,627 COVID-19 cases on July 12

196 new cases, 94 discharges & 5 deaths reported in DK today

2 accused in gold smuggling case remanded to judicial custody





Related Articles More

Not yet qualified for Olympics, Hima says she is not worried

Sheldon Jackson quits Saurashtra, to play for Puducherry now

Former India cricketer Chetan Chauhan tests positive for COVID-19: Report

Ministry will continue to help needy former sportspersons: Kiren Rijiju

Boxers face SAI ire after alleged violation of quarantine norms




MUST WATCH

Yadgiri’s Najarapur waterfall at full flow after heavy rains

“Bengaluru returnees will be placed under home quarantine’

Sunday Curfew: Heavy police force deployed to check lockdown violations

Shimoga: Protests against city corp for mismanaging a COVID-19 dead body

Karnataka education minister Suresh Kumar visits Kukke Subrahmanya


Latest Additions

Pilot rebels, says he has support of 30 Cong MLAs in Rajasthan

Aishwarya, Aaradhya to quarantine at home, confirms Abhishek Bachchan

SC verdict on Sree Padmanabhaswamy Temple management dispute on July 13

Police officer accused of tipping off Vikas Dubey, moves SC seeking protection

Karnataka records 2,627 COVID-19 cases on July 12

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.