COVID-19: China announces additional USD 30 million grant for WHO
PTI, Apr 23, 2020, 2:35 PM IST
Beijing: China on Thursday, April 23 announced an additional USD 30 million grant to the World Health Organisation, days after Beijing expressed “serious concern” over US President Donald Trump’s decision to freeze the funding for the global health agency over its handling of the COVID-19 crisis.
Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesman Geng Shuang made the announcement at a media briefing here. The grant will be in addition to the USD 20 million provided by China earlier to the WHO.
China hinted at stepping up its monetary contribution to the UN health agency on April 15. Beijing’s response came a day after Trump announced to put a “very powerful” hold on US’ funding to the WHO, accusing the UN agency of being “very China-centric” and criticizing it for having “missed the call” in its response to the coronavirus pandemic.
“China expresses serious concern over the US announcement to halt its funding to WHO,” another Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian had said in response to Trump’s announcement.
He said that China will always support the Geneva-based WHO in playing an important role in international public health and global anti-epidemic response.
Asked if China will step-up funding to the WHO to replace the US contributions, Zhao had said, “China has provided USD 20 million to the WHO (to fight COVID-19) and we will study the relevant matter”, indicating that Beijing was considering to increase its contribution to the global health body.
Both China and the WHO faced serious criticism over lack of transparency especially about the discovery of the coronavirus in December last year and its silent spread in Wuhan until Beijing imposed lockdown in the city on January 23.
By that time, over five million people from Wuhan were reported to have left for holiday destinations at home and abroad to celebrate the Chinese new year, which many allege resulted in the spreading of the deadly virus worldwide.
China has denied the allegations of any cover-up, saying it was the first country to report the COVID-19 to the WHO.
Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.
PM hailing farm laws shows govt ‘drunk with power’, ‘rigid’ in face of protests: Cong
UP registers first case under anti-conversion law in Bareilly
Modi’s Hyd visit: A testimony of Telangana achievement, KCR should have been invited, says KTR
Related Articles More
Pandemic calls off Christmas markets in Europe
DCGI and institutional ethics committee investigating claim of adverse event in COVID vaccine trial: Officials
COVID-19 caseload in India climbs to 93,92,919
COVID-19: 1,522 new cases in Karnataka, 12 deaths
ICMR Approves CSIR’s Covid-19 Testing Method That Can Help Ramp Up Number of RT-PCR Tests
Meet the man with the largest collections of Newspapers | Umesh Rao Ekkar Mangalore
Mangalore: Woman rescues a cat from 30 feet deep well | Ranjini Shetty | Udayavani
CM and central leadership will take final call on Cabinet expansion: Ashwath Narayan
Assorted flowers, fruits, and vegetables are grown in the terrace garden
Celebrating 25 Years of Laveena Masala | Since 1996 | Udayavani
Rajinikanth to brainstorm with supporters on political entry
Elections No Solution to Kashmir Problem, Hold Dialogue with Pakistan, Says Mehbooba Mufti
India ‘pharmacy of world,’ focusing on deeper ties in S&T: Swedish amb
CAIT Writes to PM Modi, Alleges Violation of FDI Norms by E-commerce Companies
North India Likely to Have Harsher Winter, IMD Says ‘Can See Rise in Frequency of Cold Waves’