Udayavni Special

COVID-19: China announces additional USD 30 million grant for WHO


PTI, Apr 23, 2020, 2:40 PM IST

Beijing: China on Thursday announced an additional USD 30 million grant to the World Health Organisation, days after Beijing expressed “serious concern” over US President Donald Trump’s decision to freeze the funding for the global health agency over its handling of the COVID-19 crisis.

Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesman Geng Shuang made the announcement at a media briefing here. The grant will be in addition to the USD 20 million provided by China earlier to the WHO.

China hinted at stepping up its monetary contribution to the UN health agency on April 15. Beijing’s response came a day after Trump announced to put a “very powerful” hold on US’ funding to the WHO, accusing the UN agency of being “very China-centric” and criticising it for having “missed the call” in its response to the coronavirus pandemic.

“China expresses serious concern over the US announcement to halt its funding to WHO,” another Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian had said in response to Trump’s announcement.

He said China will always support the Geneva-based WHO in playing an important role in international public health and global anti-epidemic response.

Asked if China will step-up funding to the WHO to replace the US contributions, Zhao had said, “China has provided USD 20 million to the WHO (to fight COVID-19) and we will study the relevant matter”, indicating that Beijing was considering to increase its contribution to the global health body.

Both China and the WHO faced serious criticism over lack of transparency especially about the discovery of the coronavirus in December last year and its silent spread in Wuhan until Beijing imposed lockdown in the city on January 23.

By that time, over five million people from Wuhan were reported to have left for holiday destinations at home and abroad to celebrate the Chinese new year, which many allege resulted in the spreading of the deadly virus worldwide.

China has denied the allegations of any cover-up, saying it was the first country to report the COVID-19 to the WHO.

Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.

Top News

Mangaluru: Two arrested in Pro-terror graffiti case

TN CM deputes 11 ministers to coordinate rescue, relief ops, announces solatium

Modi to lay foundation stone for new Parliament Building on Dec 10

Agri minister Tomar tells farmer unions that Centre committed to talks at fifth round of meeting

Sandalwood drug case: Court permits CCB sleuths to collect hair samples of accused

Covaxin a 2-dose anti-coronavirus vaccine, Anil Vij got only 1st dose: Union health ministry

Many of the BJP people are associated with Rajinikanth now: Dinesh Gundu Rao



MUST WATCH

Karnataka bandh over Maratha board | Udayavani

M’luru boat tragedy: Search operation still on for Ansar’s body

Deer falls into well, rescued

Without sulking from his illness, this young man changed his life through agriculture

State government must immediately bring in anti-cow slaughter law: Sri Vishwa Prasanna Tirtha Swamiji

Latest Additions

Mangaluru: Two arrested in Pro-terror graffiti case

BJP Trying to Instigate People to Create Trouble at Bengal Govt’s ‘Duare Sarkar’ Camps: Labour Minister

BJP Will Recommend Award-winning Maharashtra Teacher as MLC: Pravin Darekar

Former Karnataka Minister Roshan Baig Gets Bail in Multi-crore IMA Scam Case

Karnataka Bandh Called by Pro-Kannada Outfits Evokes Lukewarm Response

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.