De Villiers says IPL form would be crucial to comeback bid for T20 World Cup
PTI, Jan 14, 2020, 5:15 PM IST
Sydney: Retired South African big-hitter AB de Villiers on Tuesday said efforts are on to ensure his comeback in the national team for the T20 World Cup in Australia, a plan in which his IPL form will play a crucial role.
Speaking to Cricket Australia’s official website ‘cricket.com.au’, the 35-year-old swashbuckler said he would love to be back two years after calling it quits internationally. He is currently in Australia to play in the Big Bash League.
“I would love to. I’ve been talking to ‘Bouch’ (Mark Boucher), Graeme Smith and Faf-du Plessis back home, we’re all keen to make it happen,” he said.
“It’s a long way away still, and plenty can happen there’s the IPL coming up, I’ve still got to be in form at that time. So I’m thinking of throwing my name in the hat and hoping that everything will work out,” he added.
“It’s not a guarantee, once again. I don’t want to disappoint myself or other people, so for now, I’m just going to try and keep a low profile, try and play the best possible cricket that I can and then see what happens towards the end of the year,” he said.
De Villiers had attempted a comeback before last year’s ODI World Cup but his proposal was shot down by Cricket South Africa.
“There are a lot of players (involved with CSA) who I used to play with. Guys who understand the game, leaders of the team for many years” he said of the present dispensation.
He said, “So it’s much easier to communicate than what it used to be in the past. They understand what players go through especially players that have played for 15 years internationally.
“It doesn’t mean that everything is going to be sunshine and roses, but it’s definitely a lot easier and it feels comfortable, the language that’s being used and just the feeling that everyone has at the moment in South Africa about the cricket,” he added.
Modi becomes fourth longest serving Indian PM: BJP
Rajasthan BJP to move no-confidence motion against Ashok Gehlot-led Congress govt
Cong revokes suspension of two Pilot camp MLAs
Related Articles More
Karun Nair recovers from COVID-19; set to leave for UAE with KXIP squad
Starc works on muscular body during COVID lockdown
Hafeez breaches bio-secure bubble; placed in isolation
CSK management expects Dhoni to be part of team till 2022
Rajasthan Royals’ fielding coach Dishant Yagnik tests COVID-19 +ve
Gendun Gyatso Lama : Why did I come to India? The race for independence – The Great Escape from China
BSNL Employees Union in Mangalore protest over MP Anant Hegde’s remarks
Rangayya Naik | Atleast once a year do the work of agriculture | Farmer Request
Traditional Pottery Making | Atmanirbhar Bharat | Udayavani
Min Suresh visits SSLC student who studied while working as construction labourer | Udayavani
Fact Check: Will Schools remain shut till the end of December?
What is the Faceless income tax Assessment scheme launched by PM Modi?
Dubai Crown Prince stops using car after birds build nest on it
Covid-19: Over 600 discharges in DK today, 246 new cases reported
Air pollution could be cutting short life span of honey bees: Indian study