Duckworth claims Bengaluru Open title


PTI, Feb 17, 2020, 9:57 AM IST

Bengaluru: Australia’s James Duckworth registered a straight-set win over Benjamin Bonzi of France in the finals to lift the USD 162,500 Bengaluru Open title here on Sunday.

Duckworth took just 68 minutes to notch up a 6-4 6-4 win over Benjamin at the KSLTA Courts here.

Duckworth was coming with a reputation of having won four titles out of six final appearances and was in fine form after having reached the last four of the ATP 250 in Pune last week.

His opponent Benjamin, meanwhile, had felled four seeds enroute to the final, including India’s No.1 and defending champion Prajnesh Gunneswaran.

So when the two talented men met on the court, it was fireworks all the way.

“I was aware he had beaten some good players in this tournament. I was kind of prepared for this and luckily I played my best today,” said Duckworth.

Both matched stroke for stroke but it was the Frenchman who had the first jibe breaking his opponent in the fourth game.

Then the opponents broke each other’s serve for the next three games before Duckworth held his serve in the eighth game after saving two break points to level scores at 4-4.

A break in the ninth game ensured that Duckworth won the set at 6-4 but not before Benjamin had some good answers to his serves.

In the second set, both served and returned well and held their respective serves until the fourth game.

Duckworth achieved a break in the fifth game to go 3-2 up. The rivals then broke each other in the next two games before they held their respective serves for Duckworth to win at 6-4.

“I have had a good run on Indian soil these two weeks. I may think of applying for citizenship,” joked Duckworth after his victory.

“I am very happy to win here. It was a quality field and organized very efficiently. This win has given me the confidence to try and get to the top-50.

Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.

Top News

9 lakh govt vehicles, buses older than 15 years to go off the road from Apr 1, says Gadkari

Constitutional status for Tulu: Committee led by Dr Mohan Alva formed, says Min Sunil Kumar

Budget session from Tuesday, President Murmu to address joint sitting of two Houses

PM to inaugurate India Energy Week on February 6 in Bengaluru

Tulu actor Aravind Bolar injured in road accident

Bengaluru to host first G20 Energy Transition Working Group meeting under India’s presidency

9 lakh govt vehicles, buses older than 15 yrs to be scrapped from Apr 1: Gadkari


Related Articles More

Indian men’s hockey team chief coach Graham Reid resigns

I see three to four members of Women’s U-19 WC squad graduating to highest level: Mithali Raj

Spinners revel on Lucknow turner as India pull off nervy win over NZ to level series

Congratulations pour in for Team India as they lift U-19 women’s T20 World Cup

India win inaugural Women’s U-19 T20 World Cup with thumping win over England

MUST WATCH

Kollur Mookambika to get new Ratha after 400years

Villagers election boycott warning for road

Sand art | Malpe Beach Uthsava 2023 | Udupi – Udayavani

Various competitions, activities in Beach Utsava!

Melody King Rajesh Krishnan


Latest Additions

Air Marshal A P Singh to be new Vice Chief of IAF

46 killed, nearly 150 injured in Taliban suicide attack at mosque in high-security zone in Pakistan’s Peshawar

Nearly 100 students fall sick in Wayanad school; health personnel hold inspection

Guj court convicts self-styled godman Asaram Bapu in rape case filed in 2013

SC upholds NCLAT order on payment of dues to former employees of Jet Airways

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.