Udayavni Special

India, China likely to hold fifth round of Corps Commander-level talks next week


PTI, Jul 26, 2020, 9:09 AM IST

New Delhi: India and China are set to hold a fresh round of high-level military talks next week to work out modalities for withdrawal of Chinese troops from the Pangong Tso area in eastern Ladakh, government sources said on Saturday, July 25.

So far, senior military commanders of the two armies have held four rounds of talks on disengagement of troops from the friction points in eastern Ladakh with an aim to restore peace and tranquillity in the region.

The sources said the ongoing engagement and dialogue at military and diplomatic levels have resulted in complete disengagement of troops at patrolling point 14, 15 and 17 A in eastern Ladakh.

“A meeting between senior military commanders of the two armies is expected in the coming week to further work out modalities of Pangong Tso lake area,” said a source.

People familiar with the developments said Chinese military has pulled back from Galwan Valley and certain other friction points but the withdrawal of troops has not moved forward from Finger 5 to Finger 8 in Pangong Tso area as demanded by India.

On Friday, the two sides held another round of diplomatic talks on the border issue.

After the talks, the Ministry of External Affairs said both sides agreed that an early and complete disengagement of the troops along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in accordance with bilateral agreement and protocols was essential for overall development of bilateral relations.

The people familiar with the developments said India conveyed a firm message to the Chinese side that it has to implement the disengagement process as agreed to during the four rounds of Corps Commander-level talks between the two militaries.

National Security Advisor Ajit Doval and Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi held a nearly two-hour-long telephonic conversation on July 5 to bring down tension in the region.

Both sides commenced the disengagement process from July 6 following talks between Doval and Wang who are Special Representatives for the boundary question.

After the fourth round of Corps Commander-level talks, the Army said both sides are committed to “complete disengagement” of troops, adding the process is “intricate” and it requires “constant verification”.

During a visit to eastern Ladakh last week, Defence Minister Rajnath Singh said progress has been made in the ongoing talks with China to find a solution to the border standoff but he cannot guarantee to what extent it would be resolved.

The tension in eastern Ladakh escalated manifold after the violent clashes in Galwan Valley on June 15 in which 20 Indian Army personnel were killed.

The Chinese side also suffered casualties but it is yet to give out the details. According to an American intelligence report, the number of casualties on the Chinese side was 35.

After the last round of military talks, government sources said the Indian side conveyed a “very clear” message to the Chinese army that status quo ante must be restored in eastern Ladakh and it will have to follow all mutually agreed protocols for border management to bring back peace and tranquillity.

Government sources said India is keeping a hawk-eye vigil on all areas along the LAC in Ladakh and will maintain a high-level of alertness to deal with any eventualities.

Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.

Top News

K’taka COVID-19 update: 645 new cases, 807 discharges, 6 deaths on Jan 18

2 BJP MLAs press for reconstitution of Yediyurappa Cabinet

Number of people vaccinated against COVID-19 more than double number of active cases says Govt

Ullal: Awareness campaign organised against waste disposal on Netravati bridge

Indian military team to leave for Russia soon to train on operational aspects of S-400 missiles

Pant surpasses Dhoni to become fastest Indian stumper to reach 1000 runs in Test cricket

Govt declares Subhas Chandra Bose birth anniversary as Parakram Diwas


Related Articles More

Number of people vaccinated against COVID-19 more than double number of active cases says Govt

We’ll keep our personal views on farm laws aside; repeal not good for future reforms: Members of SC-appointed panel

Subsidy on food served in Parliament canteens ends; Prices to go up

Indian military team to leave for Russia soon to train on operational aspects of S-400 missiles

Govt declares Subhas Chandra Bose birth anniversary as Parakram Diwas

MUST WATCH

Karunakar Kotegar | How to teach forgiveness | Udayavani

Arnab-Gupta WhatsApp chat leak!! New story, much misery…

‘Act of revenge’: Attack on constable Ganesh Kamath was to avenge M’luru police firing

Udayavani Campaign: Identify parking areas to resolve public problems , says MLA Kamath

Chief Minister Yeddyurappa visits Uchila Mahalakshmi Temple

Latest Additions

K’taka COVID-19 update: 645 new cases, 807 discharges, 6 deaths on Jan 18

2 BJP MLAs press for reconstitution of Yediyurappa Cabinet

DK district receives 2nd batch of COVID-19 vaccine

Number of people vaccinated against COVID-19 more than double number of active cases says Govt

Ullal: Tipper truck-car collision; 2 severely injured

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.