Udayavni Special

ISRO in 2018 lost contact with military satellite GSAT 6A, led to deferring of Chandrayaan launch


PTI, Sep 7, 2019, 11:40 AM IST

New Delhi: Indian space agency ISRO, which lost contact with Chandrayaan-2’s lander Vikram early Saturday morning, had deferred the lunar mission’s launch last year after a loss in communication with military satellite GSAT 6A.

GSAT 6A was launched in March last year and was meant to support military communications in hostile regions using handy ground terminals.

However, days later the ISRO said it had lost contact with GSAT 6A.

Communication from the satellite was lost after the second firing of the on-board engine and “efforts are underway to establish the link with the satellite”, it had then said.

The launch of Chandrayaan-2 was scheduled in October last year.

Officials had then said they did not want to take any risk and ensure that the multi-million dollar Chandrayaan project is full-proof.

The GSAT 6A setback had prompted ISRO to recall the launch of GSAT-11 from Kourou in French Guiana for additional technical checks.

The setback the ISRO faced was one of the reasons behind the space agency deferring the launch of Chandrayaan to early this year, which was again pushed to July.

To ensure that Chandrayaan-2 does not face any glitch, the ISRO had formed a group of experts.

In August 2017, the PSLV- C39 mission, carrying the IRNSS-1H navigation satellite, failed after the heat shield did not open and release the satellite.

Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.

Top News

Don’t vote for JD(S): Siddaramaiah to minority community

Opposition flays Kerala govt’s flood management

Pakistan Navy claims it blocked Indian submarine from entering into country’s waters

K’taka: Six achievers chosen for Sri Maharishi Valmiki Awards 2021

PM Modi afraid of speaking on China: Owaisi

Maharashtra: Theatres to reopen from October 22; restaurants, eateries can function till midnight

IndiGo cautions candidates against fake job offers

Related Articles More

Man’s kidney removed during stone operation; Hosp ordered to pay Rs 11.23 lakh compensation

Increasing activities by China in depth areas of eastern sector: Eastern Army Commander

Opposition flays Kerala govt’s flood management

Over 300 people rescued from flood-affected Uttarakhand: NDRF

Amit Shah flags off Modi Vans for Kaushambi in UP

MUST WATCH

INDIAN ARMY RESCUES THE CIVILIANS STUCK IN NAINITAL FLOODS

UDAYAVANI NEWS BULLETIN|19/10/2021

Specialties Of Kapila MalnadGidda cow Breed

THE FOREST DEPARTMENT PROCEDURE ON DEEMED FORESTS

Chintamani Crime news


Latest Additions

Man’s kidney removed during stone operation; Hosp ordered to pay Rs 11.23 lakh compensation

Increasing activities by China in depth areas of eastern sector: Eastern Army Commander

Don’t vote for JD(S): Siddaramaiah to minority community

Opposition flays Kerala govt’s flood management

Over 300 people rescued from flood-affected Uttarakhand: NDRF

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.