‘John Wick’ initially had different title but Keanu Reeves kept getting it wrong


Team Udayavani, May 28, 2020, 11:58 AM IST

Derek Kolstad, the creator of Keanu Reeves-starrer “John Wick” franchise, says the film was earlier titled “Scorn” but the name was changed as the actor kept getting it wrong.

Led by Reeves, the franchise started with 2014’s “John Wick” which was about a retired assassin who decides to return to the world he left behind after his dog is killed.

The movie was both a critical and commercial hit and also spawned sequels “John Wick: Chapter 2” (2017), and “John Wick: Chapter 3 Parabellum” (2019).

Chad Stahelski, who made his directorial debut with the first “John Wick”, helmed the two sequels as well. In an interview with ComicBook.com, Kolstad, who wrote all the three parts, talked about the decision to rename the film.

“The only reason it’s called ‘John Wick’ is that Keanu kept referring to it as ‘John Wick’. Marketing was like, ‘Dude, that’s four to five million dollars in free advertising so far, so it’s ‘John Wick’ instead of ‘Scorn’. I can’t imagine it being ‘Scorn’ now,” the screenwriter said.

Reeves is set to reprise his role in the franchise’s fourth installment, which is expected to be released in May 2022.

Kolstad, however, said that he has no idea about what the new chapter will be titled.

“I have no idea. ‘Parabellum’ was Chad’s and I love it. ‘Chapter Two’ was, I think, I might’ve just put it in the heading,” he added.

Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.

Top News

SC says firecracker ban not against any community

Nine killed in J&K’s Doda after bus falls into gorge; PM announces ex-gratia of Rs 2 lakh

Puttur: RSS leader accused of raping minor Dalit girl surrenders

IT Min seeks details of algorithm, processes used by FB amid hate speech allegations: Sources

Bengaluru to host two-day conference of tourism, culture ministers of southern region

Ind vs Pak T20 WC: Those celebrating Pakistan’s win will face sedition charges, says Yogi Adityanath

Covid-19: Officials conduct surprise inspection at schools in Mangaluru

Related Articles More

John Abraham wraps up ‘Ek Villain Returns’, says team has ‘super hit film’ in hand

Karan Johar marks five years of ‘Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’

‘Bajarangi 2’ pre-release event: ‘KGF’ star Yash floors all with his humility

‘Dune’ sequel officially greenlit, to be released in 2023

Bhumi Pednekar joins Rajkummar Rao in Anubhav Sinha’s ‘Bheed’

MUST WATCH

Karnataka rajyotsava celebrations: Mass rendition of Kannada songs at Udupi DC Office

Tiger swimming in kabini back water at mysore

Alerts for tourists visiting the Ettina Bujja

News Bulletin 27-10-2021

Why is organ donation important?


Latest Additions

I am not racist: Quinton de Kock says fine with taking knee, available to play for SA

SC says firecracker ban not against any community

Rajasthan ranks 2nd after Karnataka on State Energy Efficiency Index 2020

SC says firecracker ban not against any community

Nine killed in J&K’s Doda after bus falls into gorge; PM announces ex-gratia of Rs 2 lakh

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.