Land allocation for Sterlite expansion in TN cancelled


Team Udayavani, May 29, 2018, 12:26 PM IST

Chennai: The allotment of land for the proposed expansion of Vedanta group’s copper plant in Tuticorin was today cancelled “in larger public interest” by the State Industries Promotion Corporation of Tamil Nadu Ltd (SIPCOT), an official release said.

The move comes a day after the Tamil Nadu government ordered the state Pollution Control Board to seal and “permanently” close the Sterlite Copper plant following last week’s protests, over pollution concerns, during which 13 people were killed in police firing.

“As the allotment of land for the proposed expansion has been made by SIPCOT, in larger public interest, the land allotment made by SIPCOT for the proposed expansion of copper smelter plant (Phase-2) by Vedanta Ltd is hereby cancelled,” SIPCOT said in its communication to the Vedanta group.

“The land price collected for the said land allotment will be refunded as per the norms of SIPCOT,” it said. There have been a series of agitations against the establishment of a copper plant at the SIPCOT industrial complex in Tuticorin, about 600 km from here, expressing concerns about the pollution caused, it added.

An official release here said, “The cancellation of allotment of 342.22 acres of land has been made in larger public interest and this has been communicated to the company.” 

Chief Minister K Palaniswami had yesterday said the state government had issued the directive to seal and ‘permanently’ close the copper unit, in deference to the ‘sentiments’ of the people.

Vedanta Ltd termed the closure “unfortunate” and said it would decide the future course of action after studying the development.

The Madras High Court had on May 23 stayed the expansion of the Vedanta’s copper smelter plant in Tuticorin district on a petition filed by environmental activist Fathima Babu. The petitioner submitted that Vedanta Limited should be restrained from carrying out activities in the lands on which the proposed copper smelter-unit II was being constructed.

The court had also directed the Centre to submit within four months a report after holding a public hearing in the district to invite public opinion on the plan for expansion.

The locals were protesting for the closure of the factory for 99 days. Protesters turned violent on May 22, the 100th day of their stir, and 13 people were killed in police action against them last Tuesday and Wednesday.

Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.

Top News

United States issues its 1st passport with ‘X’ gender marker

NCB witness Gosavi detained by Pune police in cheating case

Lucknow: Two hurt in encounter with UP Police

HC directs K’taka govt to submit report on action against corrupt officials

India is concerned about situation in Afghanistan: Pentagon

Nihang members unlikely to leave Singhu protest site, says source

Mumbai police set up team for inquiry into ‘extortion bid’ in Aryan case

Related Articles More

NCB witness Gosavi detained by Pune police in cheating case

Lucknow: Two hurt in encounter with UP Police

Nihang members unlikely to leave Singhu protest site, says source

Mumbai police set up team for inquiry into ‘extortion bid’ in Aryan case

Woman delivers baby on board Bhubaneswar-bound train

MUST WATCH

News Bulletin 27-10-2021

Why is organ donation important?

How to do Organic Farming in India | Devdas Hebbar

Mid Day Meal at Dotihala school Koppala

Revenue Minister R.Ashok Say’s Save Kannada Language


Latest Additions

Facebook froze as anti-vaccine comments swarmed users

Sexual harassment case against advocate: One arrested

Tesla wants to keep secret its response in Autopilot probe

Mild to moderate cases in home isolation can infect only one-third contacts: WHO-MAMC study

United States issues its 1st passport with ‘X’ gender marker

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.