Maxwell ruled out of SA tour with elbow injury, could miss beginning of IPL


PTI, Feb 12, 2020, 3:04 PM IST

Melbourne: Australia’s dashing all-rounder Glenn Maxwell is set to miss the beginning of the IPL after an elbow injury on Tuesday ruled him out of the upcoming ODIs and T20 Internationals in South Africa.

The tour of South Africa starts on February 21. Maxwell will undergo surgery on his left elbow and will be replaced by D’Arcy Short in both squads.

Cricket Australia said he might require at least six to eight weeks to attain full match fitness, which means he is likely to miss the beginning of the IPL too, which is starting on March 29.

The 31-year-old is representing Kings XI Punjab in the franchise-based league.

A “shattered” Maxwell said the decision to withdraw from the South African tour was difficult.

“I was not confident that I could perform at international level with my elbow in its current state and have decided to undergo surgery straight away to fix the issue,” Maxwell said in a statement.

“I would like to thank Justin Langer, Ben Oliver, Trevor Hohns and the whole Australian squad for their understanding.”

The South Africa tour was the first time Maxwell had been picked for national duties since taking a break from cricket in October due to mental health issues.

Australia’s national selector Trevor Hohns said Maxwell’s increased pain could not have been overlooked.

“We are disappointed to lose Glenn this close to the tour as we were looking forward to welcoming him back to the national side in both the 20 and 50-over formats after his break during the summer,” Hohns was quoted as saying by Cricket Australia.

“Unfortunately, the pain he has experienced in the elbow in the latter stages of the BBL increased over the weekend and he will have surgery immediately to rectify the situation.

Top News

‘India learnt to live without politics, religion during lockdown’

Karim Morani’s other daughter, actor Zoa Morani, tests positive for COVID-19

Bakeries exempted from lockdown in K’taka

J&K: Special forces men take down five terrorists in hand-to-hand combat

COVID-19: Telangana CM urges PM Modi to extend national lockdown

India’s growth may slip below 3% in FY21 if COVID-19 proliferates: KPMG

India between Stage 2 and 3 of COVID-19 pandemic: Health Ministry

Related Articles More

Let people write me off, I am preparing for 2021 Tokyo now: Sushil Kumar

Cummins prioritises T20 World Cup over IPL

Three sports habits that could change after COVID-19

Chahal goes old passion, says chess taught him to be patient on cricket field

He reminded me of Inzamam in his early days: Yuvraj recalls Rohit’s first impression

MUST WATCH

COVID-19: Police at frontline get protective face shield

9 Baje 9 min: People light candles, diyas to honour India’s fight against COVID-19

Covid 19: Cong forms dist-level task committee force

Heart of Gold: Helping the needy get free guidance – Dr. Padmanabha Kamath

COVID-19: 5-year-old donates piggy bank for CMRF

Latest Additions

‘India learnt to live without politics, religion during lockdown’

Karim Morani’s other daughter, actor Zoa Morani, tests positive for COVID-19

Bakeries exempted from lockdown in K’taka

J&K: Special forces men take down five terrorists in hand-to-hand combat

COVID-19: Telangana CM urges PM Modi to extend national lockdown