Murray ends season after Shenzhen quarter-final loss


Team Udayavani, Sep 30, 2018, 11:28 AM IST

Beijing: Former world number one Andy Murray has brought his season to a premature end, pulling out of the China Open in Beijing after reaching the quarter-finals at the Shenzhen Open.

The 31-year-old Briton is battling to regain top form and fitness following hip surgery in January but British media including the BBC said that he has suffered a minor ankle problem.

Murray was not included when the China Open draw was made on Saturday and also absent was world number three Novak Djokovic, who was offered a wildcard.

The China Open — which begins this weekend — has been hit by several high-profile pull-outs with Rafael Nadal not involved because of injury, Roger Federer saving himself for Shanghai and Serena Williams all absent.

Murray, ranked 311 in the world, previously said that Beijing would be his final tournament this season and he is carefully managing his schedule following his operation in order to get the most out of his creaking body.

He was beaten 6-4, 6-4 on Friday in Shenzhen by Spanish veteran Fernando Verdasco, although he defeated world number 11 David Goffin in the last 16 for the best win since his comeback.

Murray, a three-time Grand Slam title winner, will spend the winter working himself back to the sort of fitness levels that saw him capture nine titles in a stellar 2016 campaign, including his second Wimbledon crown and another Olympic gold.

“It was another three matches, which is positive,” said Murray after defeat to Verdasco. “But obviously I want to play better than that, I have higher ambitions than losing in the quarter-finals. I want to try to be better in these events.

“I need to spend more time on the practice court and the gym so that I’m more robust and physically in better shape.”  Juan Martin del Potro, the top seed in Beijing, will play Albert Ramos in his opener.

Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.

Top News

Paytm gets Sebi nod for mega Rs 16,600-cr IPO

India successfully flight-tests ABHYAS off Odisha coast

Successful UPSC aspirants have no right to be allocated cadre, place of service of their choice: SC

Khatauli BJP MLA acquitted in 2013 Muzaffarnagar riot case

3 days of record rains causes losses worth Rs 2,000 crore in Kumaon

Law intern’s sexual harassment case: Two police personnel suspended for dereliction of duty

Baby kidnap case: Kerala govt orders probe by woman, child welfare department

Related Articles More

Denmark Open Badminton: Sameer Verma shocks world no.3 Anders Antonsen, Lakshya Sen exits

Mentors can’t do much, it’s players who have to perform in middle: Gavaskar on MSD impact

Deepika, Ranveer to bid for IPL franchise: Reports

T20 World Cup: Brett Lee Predicts KL Rahul, Mohammed Shami To Take Individual Honours

F1 title fight could take big swing in U.S and Mexico

MUST WATCH

Unlucky auto Driver in Chikkamagaluru

Udayavani News Bulletin 22-10-2021

Manjamma Jogathi On The Discrimination She Faced

POLYHOUSE | Cucumber Cultivation Guide

Monuments lit up in tricolour to mark 100 crore vaccine


Latest Additions

Paytm gets Sebi nod for mega Rs 16,600-cr IPO

India successfully flight-tests ABHYAS off Odisha coast

Successful UPSC aspirants have no right to be allocated cadre, place of service of their choice: SC

Khatauli BJP MLA acquitted in 2013 Muzaffarnagar riot case

Bombay HC reserves order on ZEEL’s plea against EGM as requested by Invesco

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.