Udayavni Special

NGT directs Delhi Jal Board to control ‘bad odour’ emanating from Kondli sewage plant by May 31


Team Udayavani, Mar 2, 2021, 1:36 PM IST

New Delhi: The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has directed the Delhi Jal Board (DJB) to take steps to control the “bad odour” emanating from a sewage treatment plant (STP) in Kondli here and install an odour control unit by May 31.

A bench headed by NGT Chairperson Justice Adarsh Kumar Goel warned that if the needful is not done by the stipulated date, the CEO of DJB will be liable to pay a cost of Rs 5 lakhs per month till compliance.

“Counsel for the DJB submits that requisite steps have still not been taken but the same will be completed before the month of May, 2021. Even though for consistent failure of the DJB, we are inclined to award heavy costs, we defer this aspect till the next date with a direction that if the needful is not done even by May 31, 2021, the CEO, DJB, will be liable to pay the cost of Rs 5 lakhs per month till compliance,” the bench said.

The matter is listed for the next hearing on July 9.

The NGT had earlier noted a report filed by the Delhi Pollution Control Committee and the DJB which said that laboratory analysis of the water samples collected at the outlet were not meeting the prescribed standards.

The tribunal was hearing a plea filed by a resident welfare society alleging that bad odour was coming from Kondli STP as it is not operated as per norms.

The plea alleged that the foul smell was causing breathing problems to the residents in the vicinity and was a health hazard.

Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.

Top News

Treat asymptomatic, mildly symptomatic persons in makeshift Covid Care Centres in hotels: Sudhakar

Shirva: Christian man builds Siddhivinayak temple, gifts it to Hindus

Monsoon to be normal this year, says IMD

COVID-19: Highest-ever single day spike in India with 2.17 lakh fresh cases

K’taka to decide on future course of action to control COVID-19 on April 20, curfew to continue: CM

Advisory panel recommends to impose state-wide curfew, extend night curfew hours: Sources

Six Indians including 5 Keralites win lucky draw worth over USD 2,72,000 in UAE




Related Articles More

Ajay Seth takes over as new Economic Affairs Secretary

Monsoon to be normal this year, says IMD

COVID-19: Highest-ever single day spike in India with 2.17 lakh fresh cases

Six Indians including 5 Keralites win lucky draw worth over USD 2,72,000 in UAE

Former CBI director Ranjit Sinha passes away

MUST WATCH

BSY calls for emergency meet on Covid-19 situation

Mangaluru: Fire breaks out at income tax office due to short circuit

Udayavani Exclusive | Dr Dinesh Shetty on COVID-19 second wave

Charukottige: Kuruvadi pond dries up completely

Udayavani 15-April-2021 News Bulletin

Latest Additions

Gujarat: World record holder for longest hair, finally gets a haircut

Ajay Seth takes over as new Economic Affairs Secretary

Treat asymptomatic, mildly symptomatic persons in makeshift Covid Care Centres in hotels: Sudhakar

Shirva: Christian man builds Siddhivinayak temple, gifts it to Hindus

Google introduces Timelapse in Google Earth’s biggest update since 2017

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.