Udayavni Special

No interim relief for trio who uploaded video of Jharkhand lynching


PTI, Jul 13, 2019, 9:49 AM IST

Mumbai: A court here Friday refused to provide interim protection from arrest to three men who are accused of uploading an inflammatory video on mobile app Tik Tok following a lynching incident in Jharkhand.

The short video surfaced on the popular video-sharing app after the death of Tabrez Ansari last month.

Mumbai Police filed a first information report (FIR) against Hasnan Khan (21), Mudassir Shaikh (23) and Shadan Farooqui (23) for uploading the video, alleging that they were indulging in hate-mongering.

The video purportedly shows some youths saying, “You may have killed that innocent Tabrez Ansari, but tomorrow if his son takes revenge, do not say that all Muslims are terrorists.”

The police charged the three men, who were said to have a large following on Tik Tok, under IPC section 153-A (promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion, etc.), after which they filed an anticipatory bail plea.

Their lawyer Ali Kaashif Khan said police should also hold makers of the mobile app responsible.

He said police also ignored the fact that the accused had in the past uploaded several videos calling for communal harmony and brotherhood.

But Judge D S Deshmukh said he would not pass the order without hearing the prosecution, adjourning the matter to Monday for police to file its reply.

He also refused to grant interim protection from arrest to the accused persons till then.

Ansari was brutally thrashed by a mob for alleged theft in Seraikela-Kharsawan district on June 19. He was also forced to chant “Jai Shri Ram”. He died three days later.

Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.

Top News

NHAI daily toll collection through FASTag reaches record Rs 104 cr

K’taka COVID-19 update: 571 new cases, 642 discharges, 4 deaths on Feb 25

Karnataka objects to TN’s surplus Cauvery water claim, decides to fight legally

I accidentally became a cricketer, says Ashwin

‘Are poll dates announced as per suggestions of Modi, Shah?’: Mamata questions 8-phase elections

Chikkaballapura: Key accused in quarry blast arrested

Sexual harassment cases cannot be swept under carpet, says SC; asks ex-District judge to face inquiry



Related Articles More

NHAI daily toll collection through FASTag reaches record Rs 104 cr

‘Are poll dates announced as per suggestions of Modi, Shah?’: Mamata questions 8-phase elections

Sexual harassment cases cannot be swept under carpet, says SC; asks ex-District judge to face inquiry

Everyone on Poll duty to get Covid-19 vaccine before Assembly Elections: EC

Sena slams Sitharaman’s “dharm-sankat” remark on fuel prices

MUST WATCH

Problem! in Cowin App

Listen to the story by Dr. Gururaj Karjagi on the concept of ‘Joy of Giving’- Part-3

This full-time construction worker makes caps from areca leaves in his spare time

Tea – Coffee | Reasons Not to Drink Too Much

HDK government has become Joker government: Yogeshwar

Latest Additions

NHAI daily toll collection through FASTag reaches record Rs 104 cr

K’taka COVID-19 update: 571 new cases, 642 discharges, 4 deaths on Feb 25

Karnataka objects to TN’s surplus Cauvery water claim, decides to fight legally

I accidentally became a cricketer, says Ashwin

‘Are poll dates announced as per suggestions of Modi, Shah?’: Mamata questions 8-phase elections

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.