Prince Harry, Meghan to give up ‘royal highness’ titles
Team Udayavani, Jan 19, 2020, 10:43 AM IST
London: Buckingham Palace says Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan, will no longer use the titles “royal highness” or receive public funds under a deal struck Saturday for them to step aside as senior royals.
Buckingham Palace said Harry and Meghan will cease to be working members of the royal family when the new arrangements take effect in “spring 2020.”
They will be known as Harry, Duke and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex.
The couple will no longer use the titles His Royal Highness and Her Royal Highness, but they are not being stripped of them. Harry will remain a prince and sixth in line to the British throne.
The palace says the couple will repay some 2.4 million pounds (USD 3.1 million) of taxpayers’ money that was spent renovating their home near Windsor Castle.
In a statement Saturday, Queen Elizabeth II said she was pleased that pleased that “together we have found a constructive and supportive way forward for my grandson and his family. Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved members of my family.”
The announcement came after days of talks among royal courtiers sparked by Meghan and Harry’s announcement last week that they wanted to step down as senior royals and live part-time in North America.
Buckingham Palace did not disclose who will pay for the couple’s currently taxpayer-funded security. The palace said it did not comment “on the details of security arrangements.
There are well established independent processes to determine the need for publicly funded security.
Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.
CM Bommai meets Vice Prez Naidu, BJP’s Arun Singh
Army helicopter crashes in Ranjit Sagar Dam: Pathankot SSP
DG & IGP direct police officers not to allow private functions at station
Related Articles More
Pak PM’s party wins 6 out of 8 reserved seats in PoK assembly
UN creates permanent body to address challenges of racism
Indian American girl declared one of brightest students in world
Death toll in worst floods in China’s Henan province rises to 302
Ex-Canadian min accuses Pak of engaging in ‘proxy war’ in Afghanistan
Rajya Sabha proceedings adjourned till 2 pm
MG Motor ties up with Jio for connected features in its upcoming SUV
Akshay Kumar wraps Mumbai schedule of ‘Raksha Bandhan’
SC grants 6 months to inquiry panel on encounter killings of accused in Hyderabad rape, murder case
Karnataka CM Bommai meets Vice Prez Naidu, BJP’s Arun Singh