Udayavni Special

Prohibitory orders in riot hit areas of Bengaluru extended till Aug 21


Team Udayavani, Aug 18, 2020, 12:42 PM IST

Bengaluru: Prohibitory orders clamped in parts of the city after the violence last week led to police firing, killing three people has been extended from August 18 to 21 to prevent any destruction of evidence, a threat to eyewitnesses and victims, police said on Monday.

The order was to have ended on August 18 and would now be in force till the morning of August 21.

Bengaluru Police Commissioner Kamal Pant, in his order, said police felt the need to extend the prohibitory orders to prevent those who indulged in violence on the night of August 11 to possibly destroy the evidence, threaten eye-witnesses and victims. Pant quoted Deputy Commissioner of Bengaluru East division as saying that the investigation was on and many arrests have been made.

“If the prohibitory orders are lifted, the accused persons may go out with their accomplices, destroy the evidence, threaten eyewitnesses, go violent and further damage private and public property, which would pose a law and order problem,” he said.

Keeping these facts in mind, the prohibitory orders have been extended till August 21, Pant said. The order bans more than two people gathering at any place, carrying of any kind of weapons and convening any public meetings Violators would be prosecuted, he said.

Three people were killed after police opened fire to quell a mob that went on a rampage in D J Halli and adjoining areas on Tuesday night over an inflammatory social media post allegedly put out by P Naveen, a relative of Pulakeshi Nagar MLA R Akhanda Srinivasa Murthy.

The MLAs residence and a police station at D J Halli were torched by the rioters who also set many police and private vehicles afire, and looted the belongings of the legislator and those of his sister. About 270 people have been arrested so far in connection with the incident and many others have been detained.

Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.

Top News

Govt revises COVID-19 test rules for people arriving in State

DK receives 3,400 doses of Covishield vaccine; People waiting for second dose to be prioritized

70 per cent Covishield stock for vaccination of 45-plus age- group due for 2nd dose in K’taka

‘Will demolish the virus’: Kangana Ranaut tests positive for Covid

Two MIT students selected for the prestigious Knight-Hennessy Scholarships

Pinya: Man held for overcharging oxygen cylinder

As Karnataka battles COVID-19, rumors on leadership change resurface



Related Articles More

Mangaluru: Lightning strike damages main tower of Church in Fajir

Govt revises COVID-19 test rules for people arriving in State

DK receives 3,400 doses of Covishield vaccine; People waiting for second dose to be prioritized

70 per cent Covishield stock for vaccination of 45-plus age- group due for 2nd dose in K’taka

Two MIT students selected for the prestigious Knight-Hennessy Scholarships

MUST WATCH

Inform the CM of the required quota for your district : Pratap Simha

Udayavani 7 -May -2021 News Bulletin

Mangalore Fatal Bike Accident Caught on CCTV

Home Isolation Guidelines | Shashikiran Umakanth

DK Shivakumar slams State BJP govt, alleges corruption is the only agenda of the this govt

Latest Additions

4 killed in blast at limestone mine in AP

Total collapse of governance: Moily slams Centre over COVID pandemic handling

Mangaluru: Lightning strike damages main tower of Church in Fajir

Sena slams Modi govt for Central Vista project amid pandemic

Govt revises COVID-19 test rules for people arriving in State

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.