Udayavni Special

Smith passes concussion test, available to play second ODI


PTI, Sep 12, 2020, 6:12 PM IST

 

Manchester: Star Australia batsman Steve Smith has been cleared to take part in the second ODI against England after passing a second concussion test on Saturday.

Smith was a late withdrawal from Friday’s first ODI, which Australia won by 19 runs to go 1-0 up in the three-match series, after sustaining a blow on the head in the nets from a throw-down by a coaching staff member on the eve of the match.

The 31-year-old was withdrawn from the playing XI of the first ODI “as a precautionary measure.”

However, Smith has passed the two concussion tests, one on Friday and the other on Saturday, according to cricket.com.au.

“I think it was a good decision in the end. There’s no need to take unnecessary risks with head injuries,” all-rounder Mitch Marsh said.

“It probably gives our selection committee a few headaches now because the top order struck them beautifully, without getting a big score. Anytime you’ve got Steve Smith coming back into the team it’s a great feeling,” he added.

Smith was also infamously felled by a Jofra Archer bouncer at Lord’s during last year’s Ashes. That knock caused him to miss the second innings of that Test and the following match as well.

Left-arm seamer Mitchell Starc experienced some groin pain on Friday. He managed to complete his 10 overs after slipping on the field but is also expected to play on Sunday.

“He’s a little bit sore but we’ll see how he pulls up and go from there,” Josh Hazlewood said.

Australia are in with a chance to claim a bilateral ODI series win over England for the first time since 2015 and end the recent dominance by Eoin Morgan’s men in 50-over cricket. England have won 11 of their past 14 encounters against Australia.

Top News

India’s COVID-19 tally races past 55 lakh; recovery rate rises to 80.86 pc

CBI books dairy maker Kwality Ltd, directors over Rs 1,400-crore bank fraud

Virat Kohli becomes Simranjeet Singh for a day in honour of ‘Covid Hero’

‘Suspect in 2008 Bengaluru serial blast case arrested from Kerala’

Ishrat Jahan, Tahir Hussain, others received Rs 1.61 crore for executing conspiracy in Delhi riots: Charge sheet

Trump threatens to cut off TikTok if deal doesn’t go through

RS dy chairman brings tea for protesting MPs, told he was in the wrong for not following Parl rules




Related Articles More

Virat Kohli becomes Simranjeet Singh for a day in honour of ‘Covid Hero’

Umpiring howler affected outcome of KXIP match against Delhi Capitals

Online shooting has gained traction, ISSF also looking at it: Sharif

Tactically superior CSK ride on Rayudu and new recruits to trump Mumbai Indians

IPL Advisory: No Stadium Access for Media, Only Post-Match Press Meet Mandatory

MUST WATCH

Easiest Way to Grow Cashew Nut | Farming Guide in Kannada

Man attempts to cross overflowing Doni River

Manipal: An eight-storey building in fear of collapsing

Farmer develops handy gun to scare animals away

Fight between bjp leadres in Vidhana soudha

Latest Additions

India’s COVID-19 tally races past 55 lakh; recovery rate rises to 80.86 pc

CBI books dairy maker Kwality Ltd, directors over Rs 1,400-crore bank fraud

Virat Kohli becomes Simranjeet Singh for a day in honour of ‘Covid Hero’

‘Suspect in 2008 Bengaluru serial blast case arrested from Kerala’

Ishrat Jahan, Tahir Hussain, others received Rs 1.61 crore for executing conspiracy in Delhi riots: Charge sheet

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.