Udayavni Special

South Korea, US confirm suspending military drills


Team Udayavani, Jun 19, 2018, 1:08 PM IST

Seoul: South Korean and US officials confirmed today the suspension of scheduled joint military drills, making good on a pledge by President Donald Trump during his summit with North Korea’s leader.

Seoul, which has tens of thousands of US troops on its soil to help protect it from its hostile northern neighbour, said the suspension would affect the large-scale Ulchi Freedom Guardian exercises slated for August.

“South Korea and the US plan to continue discussions for further measures,” the South’s defence ministry said in a statement, adding that “no decisions have been reached for other ensuing drills.” Some 17,500 US military personnel were due to take part in the Freedom Guardian drills.

“We are still coordinating additional actions. No decisions on subsequent war games have been made,” Pentagon spokeswoman Dana White said in confirming the suspension. “There is no impact on Pacific exercises outside of the Korean Peninsula.” White said US Defence Secretary Jim Mattis, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and National Security Advisor John Bolton would meet later this week at the Pentagon to discuss the issue.

Last week, Trump made the surprise announcement that the US would halt “war games” with its South Korean security ally — without making clear when the freeze would begin. The US leader raised eyebrows by describing the exercises as “provocative” — a term used by the North.

US and South Korean forces have been training together for years, and routinely rehearse everything from beach landings to an invasion from the North, or even “decapitation” strikes targeting the North Korean regime. Pyongyang typically reacts furiously. Following drills last year, the North fired ballistic missiles over Japan, triggering global alarm.

Trump’s decision raised concern in Japan, which hosts tens of thousands of US troops and has eyed the diplomatic outreach to Pyongyang with deep suspicion. But officials were sanguine on the announcement today, with Defence Minister Itsunori Onodera saying Trump’s move would not affect US-Japan exercises.

“In talks with Secretary Mattis, we confirmed that we will implement drills between Japan and the US,” he told reporters. Foreign Minister Taro Kono added that Tokyo understood the drills were being halted as a way to press Pyongyang to negotiate in good faith. “I understand that if North Korea stops negotiating with good will, the joint drills will resume,” he said.

Choi Hyun-soo, a South Korea defence ministry spokeswoman, added: “We are expecting a corresponding measure from North Korea in response to the suspension of the joint drills.” At their landmark Singapore summit, Trump and North Korea’s Kim Jong Un signed a joint statement in which Pyongyang committed to “work toward complete denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula.” But critics have pointed to the vague wording of the non-binding document and raised fears that the summit could weaken the international coalition against the North’s nuclear programme. Pompeo, who has stressed that sanctions will remain in place until North Korea’s complete denuclearisation, said he plans to meet Kim for follow-up talks.

South Korea said sanctions against the North could be eased once it takes “substantive steps towards denuclearisation,” seemingly setting the bar lower than Washington for such a move. But Pompeo’s office said both allies remain “committed to the goal of complete, verifiable and irreversible denuclearisation.

Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.

Top News

‘Leadership change more dangerous than COVID’

Coronavirus variants can evade antibodies by spreading via super-cells – new research

Covid-19: 42 children orphaned in Karnataka

Daily COVID-19 count in India remains below one lakh mark

Mentally-challenged man succumbs to injuries after being thrashed by cops

Finland beats Denmark at Euro 2020 after Eriksen’s collapse

Many people trapped under debris in China after gas pipe explodes



Related Articles More

Many people trapped under debris in China after gas pipe explodes

Winning auction bid to fly in space with Jeff Bezos: $28M

13 killed in hospital attack in opposition-held Syria town

China says opposed to US plans to deploy missiles in neighbouring countries

Jaishankar holds talks with Kenyan counterpart Raychelle Omamo

MUST WATCH

Cheetah in Kaiwara Hill

Karwar: Youths carry elderly woman for 5 km downhill to reach hospital

Udayavani News Bulletin 12-06-2021

Man marries 37th time in front of 28 wives

Kalavathi Dayanand Sings Kanadha Kadalige

Latest Additions

Selectors have got good back-ups for whatever side they pick for WTC final: Taylor

Undeterred by pandemic, Skoda Auto eyes going past all-time peak sales volume next year

Five of top-10 valued firms add more than Rs 1 lakh cr in mcap; TCS, Infosys lead gainers

Traffic at Bengaluru Airport dipped by 46% last month

‘Leadership change more dangerous than COVID’

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.