Sri Lanka notifies UN withdrawing from war crimes resolution


PTI, Feb 26, 2020, 7:06 PM IST

Washington: Sri Lanka on Wednesday, February 26 notified the UN that it was withdrawing from a United Nations resolution for investigating alleged war crimes committed during a decades-long conflict with Tamil separatists.

“I wish to place on record Sri Lanka’s decision to withdraw from co-sponsorship of resolution 40/1 on promoting reconciliation, accountability and human rights,” Foreign Minister Dinesh Gunawardena told the Human Rights Council in Geneva.

“Notwithstanding withdrawing from the co-sponsorship of this resolution, Sri Lanka remains committed to achieving the goals set by the people of Sri Lanka on accountability, human rights, towards sustainable peace and reconciliation,” he said.

Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa earlier this month had said Sri Lanka was withdrawing from the resolution that the country’s previous government had endorsed.

Rajapaksa was president when Sri Lankan troops defeated Tamil Tiger guerrillas in 2009, but rights groups accused the army of killing at least 40,000 Tamil civilians in the final months of the conflict.

His brother Gotabaya, who is now president, was defense secretary at the time. Gunawardena on Wednesday said the resolution was “a blot on the sovereignty and dignity of the people of Sri Lanka”. The previous government had turned its back on “a homegrown reconciliation process”, he added.

“It made my country a pawn on the chessboard of global politics,” he told delegates.

But John Fisher, Geneva director of Human Rights Watch, described the announcement as “a slap in the face to victims and an act of contempt for the UN’s top human rights body.

“UN Human Rights Council members should not allow themselves to be fooled there is no prospect that the Rajapaksas, implicated in war crimes, will take meaningful steps towards accountability,” he said.

He argued that the government’s move highlighted the need for the rights council to finally establish an international investigation into the war-era crimes something Colombo has long flatly rejected.

Top News

Karnataka gets Rs 1536 crore as GST compensation

Rishi Sunak next in line as UK PM deputy after foreign minister

M’luru, Udupi: No new COVID-19 +ve case for 4th straight day

Over 800 Tablighi Jamaat members under mandatory quarantine in K’taka: CM

Tablighi Jamaat leader will join probe after self-quarantine period is over, says lawyer

COVID-19 cases rise to 5,274, death toll stands at 149: Health Ministry

Student-startup develops low-cost ventilator

Related Articles More

Rishi Sunak next in line as UK PM deputy after foreign minister

Bali’s miracle: turning wine into hand sanitiser

“Modi was great,” says Trump after India partially lifts export ban on HCQ

British PM Johnson’s condition “stable”; spends second night in ICU

French economy shrinks 6% in Q1: Bank of France

MUST WATCH

COVID-19: Police at frontline get protective face shield

9 Baje 9 min: People light candles, diyas to honour India’s fight against COVID-19

Covid 19: Cong forms dist-level task committee force

Heart of Gold: Helping the needy get free guidance – Dr. Padmanabha Kamath

COVID-19: 5-year-old donates piggy bank for CMRF

Latest Additions

Karnataka gets Rs 1536 crore as GST compensation

Rishi Sunak next in line as UK PM deputy after foreign minister

M’luru, Udupi: No new COVID-19 +ve case for 4th straight day

Over 800 Tablighi Jamaat members under mandatory quarantine in K’taka: CM

Bali’s miracle: turning wine into hand sanitiser