Udayavni Special

Third umpire should be able to spot no-balls: Gilchrist


PTI, Nov 6, 2019, 3:50 PM IST

Mumbai: Australian great Adam Gilchrist feels the third umpire should be able to spot no-balls although he is all for the fourth umpire to take the call in the IPL, provided correct decisions are made.

Gilchrist made the comments after the IPL governing council proposed to have a dedicated “no-ball” umpire to reduce the number of howlers in the lucrative league.

“It is pretty challenging for the on-field umpire to look down there, look up there, have everything else going on. Surely there was a replay last year that showed it was a no-ball.

“That should be allowed, whether you need a fourth umpire, may be not why can’t the third umpire just look at the replay and just go not out,” he said.

“That is the simpler version I would have thought. If it means having a fourth one (umpire) and he is going to get the right decision I am all for it,” said the former wicketkeeper batsman.

Will the extra umpire slow things down?

“No because they can make the decision in an instant. I work in broadcast, they can have a replay within five seconds,” Gilchrist added.

There was a lot of hue and cry during the last IPL, when some debatable decisions were made with regards to front-foot no-balls.

India skipper Virat Kohli even had a heated word with Indian umpire S Ravi, who failed to spot a no-ball by Mumbai Indians’ Sri Lankan legend Lasith Malinga, which proved costly for the Royal Challengers Bangalore during one of the IPL matches.

It is understood that the concept of having a ‘no-ball” umpire could be tried in a domestic tournament before a final call is taken on the matter.

Top News

Cyclone Nisarga: Over 40,000 living near sea coast in Mumbai evacuated

BSY directs shifting of some govt offices to Belagavi’s Suvarna Vidhana Soudha

Second non-Vande Bharat Mission aircraft lands at MIA with stranded Kannadigas

‘Unlock 1’: Here’s how to get e-pass for Kerala-Karnataka interstate travel

Kerala elephant tragedy: Another jumbo suspected to have been killed in similar fashion

Maha CM shares do’s and dont’s asks people to ignore rumours

Schools to re-open in July only if COVID-19 situation in state is under control

Related Articles More

ECB announces proposed dates for ‘bio-secure’ West Indies series

Test cricket right now will be a challenge, know my importance in white-ball formats: Pandya

Cyclone Amphan destroyed our lives: Real Kashmir goalkeeper Mithun Samanta

BAI recommends Satwik-Chirag, Sameer for Arjuna Awards

We will have four-phased training module for match-readiness India fielding: Coach R Sridhar

MUST WATCH

Tragedy and chaos: Former MIA director recalls Mangalore Air Crash

Lockdown relaxation: Long queues outside liquor stores in Mangaluru

Indian Coast Guard thank Covid-19 warriors

#WeFeed – Feeding stray animals during lockdown!

Mysuru-origin doctor honoured with parade for her service in treating COVID-19 patients in US

Latest Additions

Prithviraj Sukumaran tests negative for COVID-19

Cyclone Nisarga: Over 40,000 living near sea coast in Mumbai evacuated

US to ship 1st batch of 100 ventilators donated to India next week

Situation at Sino-India border stable, no need for ‘third party’ intervention, says China

Don’t take admissions in ‘unapproved’ institutions in PoK: Govt to J-K Ladkah students

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.