Udayavni Special

Trump shared sensitive information with Russians: Washington Post


Team Udayavani, May 16, 2017, 9:16 AM IST

Washington DC (USA): President Donald Trump shared highly classified information with the Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov when the latter met him at the White House last week, The Washington Post has alleged.

The news report was immediately refuted by both the Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and the National Security Advisor, who said that there was no discussion of specific threats with the Russians.

“This is code-word information,” an unnamed US official familiar with the matter, was quoted as saying by The Washington Post.

Code-word information is a terminology that refers to one of the highest classification levels used by American spy agencies, the daily reported.

Trump “revealed more information to the Russian ambassador than we have shared with our own allies,” the newspaper said, adding that following this, US officials have gone into damage control mode.

According to the daily, the sensitive classified information was given to the US by one of its allies, which had not given it permission to share this with the Russians.

However, the Trump Administration denied the allegations.

“During President Trump’s meeting with Foreign Minister Lavrov, a broad range of subjects were discussed among which were common efforts and threats regarding counter-terrorism.

During that exchange, the nature of specific threats were discussed, but they did not discuss sources, methods or military operations,” Tillerson said.

“The President and the (Russian) foreign minister reviewed common threats from terrorist organisations to include threats to aviation,” said HR McMaster, the National Security Adviser, who participated in the meeting.

“At no time were any intelligence sources or methods discussed and no military operations were disclosed that were not already known publicly,” McMaster said.
“This story is false. The President only discussed the common threats that both countries faced,” said Dina Powell, Deputy National Security Advisor for Strategy, who also attended the meeting.

But The Washington Post said the information the President relayed had been provided by a US partner through an intelligence-sharing arrangement considered so sensitive that details have been withheld from allies and tightly restricted even within the US government, officials said.

Talking to reporters, McMaster described the story as false.

“The President and the Foreign Minister reviewed a range of common threats to our two countries, including threats to civil aviation.

“At no time, at no time, were intelligence sources or methods discussed and the President did not disclose any military operations that were not already publicly known,” McMaster said.

“Two other senior officials who were present, including the Secretary of State, remember the meeting the same way and have said so. Their on-the-record accounts should outweigh those of anonymous sources. I was in the room. It didn’t happen. Thanks, everybody,” McMaster said without taking any questions.

In a statement, the Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi said if news reports are true, Trump has “compromised a key source of intelligence collection” against ISIS and jeopardised the security of the American people.

“Even if President Trump unwittingly blew a highly classified code-word source to the Russians, that would be dangerous enough.

“If the President outed a highly classified code-word source intentionally, that would be even more dangerous,” Pelosi said.

She demanded that Congress must be given a full briefing on the extent of the damage President Trump has done in compromising highly classified code-word intelligence to the Russians.

Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.

Top News

Centre will provide all help to Kerala; continuously monitoring floods situation: Shah

Air Chief Marshal V R Chaudhari takes stock of IAF’s operational readiness in Leh

Pearl not result of foreign body reaction in oysters: Andaman-based scientist’s latest finding

Mangaluru: Class 2 poem ‘Go not to the Temple’ draws outrage of Hindu organizations

Nadahabba Dasara beats Covid fears, boosts tourism prospects

Kerala landslide toll rises to eight as search for those missing on

Govt to decide tax cut on petrol after reviewing the state’s economy: Karnataka CM

Related Articles More

India has right to 30% stake in Iranian gas field even after contract to local firm

Lanka seeks USD 500 mn loan from India for fuel purchase

With current reset in global supply chain, opportunities galore in India for investors and industry stakeholders: Sitharaman

Russian crew to return to Earth after filming first movie in space

Indian economy is bouncing back strongly: MoS for External Affairs V Muraleedharan

MUST WATCH

Ashwathama | Jumboo Savari Elephant refuses to leave Mysore

Dasara Celebration at Dandeli

NEWS BULLETIN 16-10-2021

Rescue work at Kapu

Mysore Dasara 2021 Jamboo Savari


Latest Additions

Centre will provide all help to Kerala; continuously monitoring floods situation: Shah

My children are the reason for me to carry on, work and live: Mandira Bedi

On Chiranjeevi Sarja’s birthday, Meghana Raj announces her comeback film

Air Chief Marshal V R Chaudhari takes stock of IAF’s operational readiness in Leh

9,000 mobile phones looted from Bengaluru-bound truck, driver beaten up and thrown out of vehicle

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.