Udayavni Special

US provides missiles, renews pledge to defend Philippines


PTI, Nov 23, 2020, 2:54 PM IST

Manila: President Donald Trump’s administration provided precision-guided missiles and other weapons to help the Philippines battle Islamic State group-aligned militants and renewed a pledge to defend its treaty ally if it comes under attack in the disputed South China Sea.

National Security Adviser Robert O’Brien represented Trump in Monday’s ceremony at the Department of Foreign Affairs in Manila, where he announced the delivery of the cache of missiles and bombs to the Philippine military.

Trump pledged to provide the USD 18 million worth of missiles in a phone conversation with Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte in April.

O’Brien expressed condolences to the Philippines after back-to-back typhoons left a trail of death and devastation in the country and outlined US help to the country battle the coronavirus pandemic.

The US assistance projects normalcy in Washington’s foreign relations as Trump worked to challenge the results of the November 3 presidential election, claiming he was a victim of fraud.

Duterte had asked Filipino Americans to vote for Trump but congratulated Joe Biden, through his spokesperson, for winning the election.

O’Brien has represented Trump in a recent online summit between the US and leaders of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations and an expanded East Asia summit of heads of state attended by China and Russia that was also held by video and hosted by Vietnam.

In his remarks at the handover of US missiles in Manila, O’Brien cited the Trump administration’s role in the defeat of the Islamic State group in the Middle East and last year’s killing of its leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, in Syria, and renewed its commitment to help defeat IS-linked militants in the southern Philippines.

“President Trump is standing with President Duterte as we combat ISIS here in Southeast Asia,” O’Brien said. “This transfer underscores our strong and enduring commitment to our critical alliance.”

He expressed hope for the continuance of a key security agreement that allows American forces to train in large-scale combat exercises in the Philippines. Duterte moved to abrogate the Visiting Forces Agreement with the US early this year but later delayed the effectivity of his decision to next year, a move welcomed by O’Brien.

He said the U.S. stands with the Philippines in its effort to protect its sovereign rights in the South China Sea.

The Philippines announced last month that it would resume oil and gas explorations in or near the Reed Bank, which lies off the country’s western coast but is also contested by China.

“They belong to the Philippine people. They don’t belong to some other country that just because they may be bigger than the Philippines they can come to take away and convert the resources of the Philippine people. That’s just wrong,” O’Brien said.

He repeated US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo’s statement early this year that “any armed attack on Philippine forces aircraft or public vessels in the South China Sea will trigger our mutual defence obligations.”

The allies have a 69-year-old mutual defence treaty.

In July, Pompeo escalated the Trump administration’s attacks against China by declaring that Washington regards virtually all Chinese maritime claims in the disputed waterway as illegitimate.

China angrily reacted by accusing the US of sowing discord between Beijing and neighbouring Asian countries.

Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.

Top News

3.81 lakhs received COVID-19 vaccine, 580 adverse events reported says Health Ministry

On Republic Day farmers’ tractor, bike parade in B’luru: Kuruburu Shantakumar

Gadkari hopes reduction in road accidents, deaths in India by 50 pc before 2025

Making all efforts to extradite fugitive businessman Vijay Mallya: Centre to SC

Indian woman dies in UAE after husband accidentally rams car into her

Beltangady: SPDI leader challenges BJP vow in Dharmasthala

Protests erupt over Uddhav’s statement on border issue


Related Articles More

Indian woman dies in UAE after husband accidentally rams car into her

South Korean court gives Samsung scion prison term over bribery

12 workers trapped week ago in China mine blast are alive

Starbucks temporarily shuts NYC stores over protest fears

Asian shares mostly lower, China gains on GDP rebound

MUST WATCH

I have not asked for a ministerial position: Halady Srinivasa Shetty

Staff nurse Shobha, first to be vaccinated against Covid at Dr. TMA Pai hospital

Ravi Katapadi, the hope of the poorest children, won 12.5 lakhs at KBC | Udayavani

Signal surges ahead of Whatsapp amid privacy concerns

What do vaccine experts say about confusion over the covid vaccine?

Latest Additions

3.81 lakhs received COVID-19 vaccine, 580 adverse events reported says Health Ministry

Gangavati: Father, son on scooter killed on spot after collision with bus

On Republic Day farmers’ tractor, bike parade in B’luru: Kuruburu Shantakumar

TKM ties up with government for skilling youths

Rafale to feature in Republic Day parade for first time

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.