Warner casts fresh doubts over England tour in July
PTI, Apr 29, 2020, 1:11 PM IST
Melbourne: It is “highly unlikely” that Australia’s scheduled limited-overs tour of England and Scotland will go ahead given the coronavirus pandemic, star batsman David Warner has said.
Australia is scheduled to take on Scotland in a T20 on June 29 before playing three T20s and three ODIs against world champions England from July 3.
“At the moment it’s highly unlikely we’re going to go over there given what’s happened in England,” Warner told cricket.com.au.
The England and Wales Cricket Board has suspended all cricket in the country until at least July 1 and England’s Test series with the West Indies set for June has already been rescheduled.
The ECB chief executive Tom Harrison said any further delays to their season would likely mean “losing cricket rather than rescheduling”.
Australia has already seen a two-Test tour of Bangladesh that had been scheduled for June called off, while a planned limited-overs home series against Zimbabwe in August is also unlikely to proceed.
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has just recovered from the COVID-19 infection and Warner said beating the disease should now be the priority.
“He’s back up on his feet now and that’s fantastic news, but there’s a lot more to this than just sport being played. The biggest picture is making sure we’re doing all the right things we can to flatten this curve and doing what we can do to play our bit in that. We’ve done a great job so far and all Australians should be credited,” he said.
Warner rejected the idea of resuming sport without spectators.
“No doubt at all, you want crowds no matter where you go and where you play. I love playing in England, it’s awesome,” he said.
“You’ve always got someone they always try and rev up, and fortunately for the team, it’s pretty much just me, and that takes a lot of the heat off the other guys,” he said.
“We’re there to put bums on seats and hopefully we can entertain the crowd by playing a good brand of cricket,” the left-hander added.
2 militants killed in Kulgam encounter
India records over 7,000 new COVID-19 cases; Tally nears 1.74 lakh
Second PU results will be announced by July 8: Suresh Kumar
Related Articles More
COVID-19: Anand to finally return home after being stuck in Germany after 3 months
Tokyo Olympics: India stands to gain as IOC approves updated shooting qualification system
‘Very high risk’ of T20 WC being postponed: Cricket Australia
ECB asks 55 players to resume training anticipating resumption of cricket
Rohit most successful IPL captain as he can handle pressure: Laxman
Tragedy and chaos: Former MIA director recalls Mangalore Air Crash
Lockdown relaxation: Long queues outside liquor stores in Mangaluru
Indian Coast Guard thank Covid-19 warriors
#WeFeed – Feeding stray animals during lockdown!
Mysuru-origin doctor honoured with parade for her service in treating COVID-19 patients in US
June 1: Food businesses to restart?
Sadhvi Pragya admitted to AIIMS for cancer and eye treatment
State govt has not paid two-months’ salary to COVID-19 health warriors: MLA Khader
TikTok’s rival Mitron app is a repackaged app from Pakistan
Covid-19: State govt to charge Rs 650 for tests on those coming by flight, train