Udayavni Special

We are going ahead with women’s IPL on time: BCCI President Ganguly


PTI, Aug 2, 2020, 12:37 PM IST

New Delhi: BCCI president Sourav Ganguly on Sunday, August 2 said that the Women’s IPL or the Challenger series, as it is better known, is “very much on”, ending speculation about the parent body not having a plan for Harmanpreet Kaur and her team.

The men’s IPL will be held between September 19 and November 8 or 10 (final date yet to be locked in) in the UAE due to the surge in COVID-19 cases in India. The woman’s IPL will also be fit into the schedule, according to the BCCI chief.

“I can confirm to you that the women’s IPL is very much on and we do have a plan in place for the national team also,” Ganguly told PTI ahead of the IPL Governing Council meeting later on Sunday.

The BCCI president, who is awaiting a Supreme Court verdict on waiver of the cooling-off period to continue in the position, did not divulge details but another senior official privy to the development said that women’s Challenger will be held during the last phase of IPL like last year.

“The women’s Challenger series is likely to be held between November 1-10 and there could be a camp before that,” the source said.

The former India captain also said that the centrally contracted women players will have a camp that has been delayed due to the prevailing situation in the country.

“We couldn’t have exposed any of our cricketers be it male or female to health risk. It would have been dangerous,” Ganguly said.

“The NCA also remained shut because of COVID-19. But we have a plan in place and we will have a camp for women, I can tell you that,” he added.

The BCCI”s cricket operations team is chalking up a schedule where Indian women are likely to have two full-fledged white-ball series against South Africa and the West Indies before playing the ODI World Cup in New Zealand.

Top News

CCB sleuths arrest 60 more including corporator’s husband in Bengaluru riots case

Southern states continue to witness spike in COVID-19 cases; K’taka breaches 2 lakh mark

Covid-19: Over 600 discharges in DK today, 246 new cases reported

Modi becomes fourth longest serving Indian PM: BJP

Rajasthan BJP to move no-confidence motion against Ashok Gehlot-led Congress govt

Cong revokes suspension of two Pilot camp MLAs

Defence Minister inaugurates HAL-IISc skill development centre in K’taka



Related Articles More

Karun Nair recovers from COVID-19; set to leave for UAE with KXIP squad

Starc works on muscular body during COVID lockdown

Hafeez breaches bio-secure bubble; placed in isolation

CSK management expects Dhoni to be part of team till 2022

Rajasthan Royals’ fielding coach Dishant Yagnik tests COVID-19 +ve

MUST WATCH

Gendun Gyatso Lama : Why did I come to India? The race for independence – The Great Escape from China

BSNL Employees Union in Mangalore protest over MP Anant Hegde’s remarks

Rangayya Naik | Atleast once a year do the work of agriculture | Farmer Request

Traditional Pottery Making | Atmanirbhar Bharat | Udayavani

Min Suresh visits SSLC student who studied while working as construction labourer | Udayavani

Latest Additions

K’taka HC directs VTU to consider online exam for final year engineering

Covid-19 health insurance claims near 1 lakh in India: K’taka among top 5

Computer scientist, pixel inventor Russell Kirsch passes away at 91

CCB sleuths arrest 60 more including corporator’s husband in Bengaluru riots case

Indians to soon get chip enabled e-passports with advanced security features

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.