WHO extends emergency status of Ebola in DR Congo


PTI, Feb 13, 2020, 10:29 AM IST

Geneva: The UN health agency on Wednesday said it was extending its global emergency designation for the Ebola outbreak in DR Congo but said the sharp decline in cases was “extremely positive”.

The recent outbreak was first identified in August 2018 and has since killed more than 2,300 people in eastern DR Congo an area where several militia groups are operating.

“As long as there is a single case of Ebola in an area as insecure and unstable as eastern DRC, the potential remains for a much larger epidemic,” WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told reporters in Geneva.

Tedros voiced hope that the emergency could be lifted within the next three months on the advice of the WHO’s Emergency Committee of international experts. The World Health Organization last July declared it a “public health emergency of international concern” a designation that gives the WHO greater powers to restrict travel and boost funding.

Tedros, who will be travelling to DR Congo on Thursday to meet President Felix Tshisekedi, on Tuesday said only three cases had been reported in the past week. But for the epidemic to be declared over, there have to be no new cases reported for 42 days double the incubation period.

The health emergency designation last year came a few days after a patient was diagnosed with the virus in the provincial capital Goma — the first case in a major urban hub.

More than a month before that, the WHO reported that the virus had spread to Uganda for the first time.

The Ebola virus is passed on by contact with the blood, body fluids, secretions or organs of an infected or recently deceased person. The death rate is typically high, ranging up to 90 percent in some outbreaks, according to the WHO.

This is the second-worst outbreak of the disease since 2014 when it killed about 11,000 people — mostly in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone. Efforts to contain the current outbreak have been hindered by attacks on health workers and conflicts in the east.

Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.

Top News

Harsha murder accused enjoying special treatment in jail; pics go viral

Kaali poster row: Indian High Commission in Ottawa urges Canadian authorities to withdraw ‘provocative material’

Karnataka CM must resign to ensure fair investigation in recruitment scam: Rahul Gandhi

‘Saral Vaastu’ fame Dr. Chandrashekhar Guruji killed

Kerala Minister makes anti-Constitution remarks; triggers row

Padil-Pumpwell 4-lane road expected to complete by year end

2017 actress assault case: Kerala HC allows state plea for forensic analysis of memory card


Related Articles More

6 dead, 30 hurt in shooting at Chicago-area July 4 parade

Sydney floods impact 50,000 around Australia’s largest city

Pope denies resignation rumors, hopes to visit Kyiv, Moscow

Sri Lanka’s opposition JVP asks govt to share details on alleged bomb threat

At least 19 killed as bus falls into ravine in southwest Pakistan

MUST WATCH

Sarala vaastu fame Dr Chandrashekhar guruju killed in Hubballi

Man Saves Cow From Getting Electrocuted

sidhu moose wala shooters seen waving guns celebrating in car

NEWS BULLETIN 04-07-2022

Tourist gathering, Road Block at Charmadi Ghat


Latest Additions

Priyanka slams BJP over attacks on Dalits, tribals

Harsha murder accused enjoying special treatment in jail; pics go viral

Kaali poster row: Indian High Commission in Ottawa urges Canadian authorities to withdraw ‘provocative material’

Passenger vehicle retail sales up 40 pc in June as chip supply improves

Harsh Goenka thinks he could be Eknath Shinde’s doppelganger and twitter agrees

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.