Please Select Your Default Edition         ಕರ್ನಾಟಕ ಆವೃತ್ತಿ    |     ಕರಾವಳಿ ಆವೃತ್ತಿ     |     English Edition

Mother beats teen son to death with cricket bat for asking to meet his father

Pune: In what could be described as an act of mercilessness, a partially-disabled teenage boy succumbed to injuries after he was allegedly beaten with a cricket bat by his mother.

However, the mother justifies the act by saying that she did so because her son made sexual advances on her.

The deceased has been identified as 13-year-old Chaitanya Balpande; the boy lived with his mother at Pune. The accused mother, Rakhi Balpande (36) has been arrested.

Rakhi worked as an admin head in a multinational company. The case has been registered in the Vishrantwadi police station.

The incident came to light on Thursday, August 6 when Rakhi with the help of the owner of the house Sumit More, carried her son in a car at to Sassoon General Hospital at Pune, alleging that he slipped in the bathroom the previous night.

But doctors and the police knew that there was something fishy. The boy’s father had a different story to tell.

Chaitanya’s father Tarun said that they had been living separately for the past three years after problems in their marriage. The love marriage turned bitter when a false case of domestic violence was filed by Rakhi against Tarun and his sister. However, the divorce has still been pending. She then applied for custody of Chaitanya and never let Tarun meet his son.

Tarun said that his son’s constantly insisting on meeting the father was what got him killed.

As soon as Tarun got the news about his son’s death, he rushed to Pune from Nagpur with his father from Nagpur. He adds that he could not believe that it was an accidental death and hence waited for the post-mortem results. Tarun says that since he worked in a pathology lab, he was sure that his son was beaten up after he identified the injury marks.

The neighbors said that Chaitanya was a student of Pune International School, but was not sent to school after sixth grade and was compelled to stay at home and not even let to play with other children or play on the computer or watch television.

Assistant Commissioner of Police (Khadki division) Swapna Gore informed that Rakhi had confessed that she beat up her son when he tried to get physically with her on Monday. She gave him painkillers. However, on returning from work on Wednesday, she saw that he was unconscious and soon rushed him to the hospital.

Doctors at the hospital said that the boy had several injuries on his butt and back while his left hand was entirely purple; his kidneys and lungs were also damaged. The boy had last eaten on Tuesday afternoon and he had died an hour before getting to the hospital.

Inspector in-charge at Vishrantwadi police station Popat Supekar said, “Tarun was suspicious of his wife and did not like her working. Hence, Rakhi moved to Pune and lived in a rented house.

The police added that Rakhi forced her mother to return to Nagpur while she was staying with them because she used to save her grandson from being beaten by his mother.

Back to Top