Udayavni Special

Amid warnings against ‘full-blown war’, Armenia and Azerbaijan clash for second day


PTI, Sep 29, 2020, 8:56 AM IST

Armenian and Azerbaijani forces fought over the separatist region of Nagorno-Karabakh for a second day Monday, with both sides blaming each other for resuming the attacks that reportedly killed and wounded dozens as the decades-old conflict has reignited.

The Azerbaijani defence ministry claimed Armenian forces shelled the town of Tartar, while Armenian officials said the fighting continued overnight and Baku resumed offensive operations” in the morning. Azerbaijani military officials told the Interfax news agency that over 550 Armenian troops have been destroyed (including those wounded) in a claim that Armenia denied.

According to officials in the predominantly Armenian enclave of Nagorno-Karabakh, 58 servicemen on their side have been killed so far. The territory also reported two civilian deaths a woman and her grandchild. About 200 troops have been wounded, but many were only slightly hurt and have returned to action. Azerbaijani authorities said nine civilians were killed and 32 wounded on their side. Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev said Sunday there were losses among Baku’s forces too, but he didn’t elaborate.

The heavy fighting broke out Sunday in the region that lies within Azerbaijan, but has been under the control of ethnic Armenian forces backed by the Yerevan government since 1994 at the end of a separatist war.

Azerbaijan said it destroyed two Armenian tanks, and Nagorno-Karabakh reported that Baku lost 10 armored vehicles in a tank battle. The Armenian defence ministry said that, while the fighting continued, all offensives of the Azerbaijani armed forces were successfully suppressed, the enemy was thrown back” and suffered losses.

Nagorno-Karabakh a region in the Caucasus Mountains about 4,400 square kilometers (1,700 square miles) or about the size of the US state of Delaware is 50 kilometers (30 miles) from the Armenian border. Soldiers backed by Armenia also occupy some Azerbaijani territory outside the region. The European Union urged both sides to stop fighting and return to the negotiating table, following similar calls by Iran, Russia, France and the United States.

“We hope and we urge everyone to everything they can in order to prevent an all-out war from breaking out, because this is the last thing the region needs,” European Commission spokesman Peter Stano said in Brussels. “There is no military solution to this conflict.” Five European countries Belgium, Estonia, France, Germany and the United Kingdom asked for a closed-door meeting of the UN Security Council on the escalating conflict on Tuesday.

UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres spoke to both Aliyev and Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinian and called for an immediate stop to the fighting, a de-escalation of tensions and a return to meaningful negotiations without preconditions or delay, spokesman Stephane Dujarric said.

“Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said the situation is a cause for concern for Moscow and other countries. We believe that the hostilities should be immediately ended,” Peskov said, adding that the process of resolving the conflict should shift into a politico-diplomatic dimension.

Armenia’s foreign ministry accused Turkey, which sides with Azerbaijan in the conflict, of supporting “this aggression”. “Turkish military experts are fighting side by side with Azerbaijan, who are using Turkish weapons, including UAVs and warplanes,” the ministry said. The situation clearly indicates that people in Nagorno-Karabakh are fighting against “a Turkish-Azerbaijani alliance”, the statement said.

Both Armenia and Turkey accused each other of recruiting foreign mercenaries. Omer Celik, spokesman for Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s ruling party, denied reports that Turkey had sent arms or foreign fighters to Azerbaijan. “Armenia is disturbed by Turkey’s solidarity with Azerbaijan and is producing lies against Turkey,” Celik tweeted.

Erdogan reiterated Turkey’s support for Azerbaijan and said Armenia’s immediate withdrawal from the region was the only way to ensure peace. “All other impositions and threats will not only be unjust and unlawful, but will continue to indulge Armenia,” he said. Erdogan criticised France, the US and Russia the three chairs of the so-called Minsk group that was set up in 1992 to resolve the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict saying they had failed to resolve the issue for 30 years.

“They have done their best not to solve this issue. And now they come and counsel and issue threats. They say ‘is Turkey here, is the Turkish military here’?'” Erdogan said. “Whose lands were occupied? Azerbaijan’s lands. … Nobody asks for [Armenia] to account. Azerbaijan has been forced to take the matters into its own hands,” he added.

Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.

Top News

K’taka COVID-19 update: 4025 new cases, 7661 discharges, 45 deaths on Oct 28

Udupi: DC Jagadeesh instructs officials to prepare database for COVID-19 vaccine

Parliamentary panel questions Paytm about Chinese investment, storing of data in servers abroad

Pak minister admits Pakistan’s role in Pulwama terrorist attack in J&K

Economic recovery faster than expected, confident of meeting $5-trn target by 2024: PM

Court orders probe against Kangana, sister over social media posts

Sullia: Bikini photoshoot at ‘sacred’ waterfalls irks locals



Related Articles More

Pak minister admits Pakistan’s role in Pulwama terrorist attack in J&K

Pak anti-terrorism court acquits PM Khan in 2014 Parliament attack case

Woman beheaded, 2 killed in knife attack in French church; terrorism suspected

Myanmar leader Suu Kyi casts her vote in November elections

“Pak Army chief’s legs were shaking as Qureshi said India would attack if Abhinandan not freed”

MUST WATCH

Collision guaranteed in a blink at this dangerous road turning

COVID19 | Peoples take on reopening of schools | Udayavani

Gadaga Accident victim arrives to vote in ambulance

Mangalore Dasara -2020 Highlights

Paschima Jagara Pooja starts at Sri Krishna Math

Latest Additions

K’taka COVID-19 update: 4025 new cases, 7661 discharges, 45 deaths on Oct 28

Govt Bans Export of Onion Seeds Amid Rising Prices in Domestic Markets

Udupi: DC Jagadeesh instructs officials to prepare database for COVID-19 vaccine

Delhi Riots: Court Dismisses Bail Plea of Accused in Murder Case

Parliamentary panel questions Paytm about Chinese investment, storing of data in servers abroad

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.