Udayavni Special

Bengaluru: Seized narcotics worth over Rs 50 crore destroyed


PTI, Jun 26, 2021, 3:19 PM IST

Bengaluru: Karnataka Home Minister Basavaraj Bommai on Saturday said narcotic substances worth over Rs 50 crore seized by the police are being destroyed in all the districts. “Today, we are destroying narcotic substances worth more than Rs 50 crore as per court orders.

This is only 60 per cent, the remaining 40 per cent are at various stages like the FSL (Forensic Science Laboratory) report has to come, court permission has to be taken in some cases. We will destroy the remaining 40 per cent at the earliest,” Bommai said.

Speaking to reporters here after attending an event as part of the International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking, he said the war against drugs would continue and would be intensified. “On getting to know about activities such as transportation of narcotic substances and storing, among others, using the COVID situation, our drive against drugs has been intensified, and it is notable that large amounts of seizures were done during the pandemic,” he said.

The Home Minister said those involved in international crime do not bother about global pandemics or COVID and continue with their activities, so the officials concerned have decided to track them and bring them to justice. There is NDPS (Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances) Act against such activities, which is a central Act that cannot be amended by the State, but rules for its implementation can be changed as required and that process is on, he said. “We are getting a study done by the National Law School as to what all the changes have to be made, how to go about it within the ambit of the Act. Following which necessary action will be taken,” he said.

Bommai further said that by breaking through the dark web, officials have been able to gather new information based on which several raids have been conducted and international players involved in these activities have been arrested. According to officials, the drugs were being destroyed today as per prescribed procedure, and they were seized during the last 12 months. During 2020, a record 4,066 cases were booked under the NDPS Act which led to massive seizures and arrest of 5,291 people, they said. The drugs destroyed include ganja, poppy, brown sugar, opium, heroin, hashish, charas, cocaine, MDMA powder, MDMA tablets, Amphetamine and LSD strips. The Home Minister lauded the swift action of the Bengaluru police in nabbing the five accused involved in the murder of former BJP corporator Rekha Kadiresh.

Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.

Top News

CM gave memorandums to Jal Shakti Minister regarding water issues: Tejasvi Surya

Delta variant not specifically targeting children: WHO

COVID-19: India records 41,649 fresh cases, 593 more fatalities

Mysuru: Illegal telephone exchange busted

India set to take over as President of UN Security Council for August

World No.1 Panghal’s Olympic campaign ends with shocking loss to Colombian Martinez

Two militants killed in encounter with security forces in J-K’s Pulwama


Related Articles More

CM gave memorandums to Jal Shakti Minister regarding water issues: Tejasvi Surya

Mangaluru: Car driver loses control, causes serial accident in Kuthar; one severely injured

Kundapura: Private financier murdered in his office

Mysuru: Illegal telephone exchange busted

Bantwal: Man arrested for stealing diesel from pipeline under his land

MUST WATCH

Seedless Persian Lime facts and Health benefits

SAKSLESHPURA BRIBING CAUGHT RED HANDED

|Udayavani news bulletin 30-07-2021

THE HONEYTRAPPING INDUSTRY

i was a Kannadiga in my previous birth | Happy Birthday Sonu Nigam | Udayavani

Latest Additions

MP: Boy ends life after losing Rs 40,000 in Online Game

Maha’s 11-term MLA and former minister Ganpatrao Deshmukh no more

Data storage norms: Mastercard submits audit report to RBI

CM gave memorandums to Jal Shakti Minister regarding water issues: Tejasvi Surya

Twitter to offer ‘bounty’ to find algorithmic bias

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.