COVID-19: Prince Charles launches emergency fund for India, South Asia


PTI, Apr 24, 2020, 5:03 PM IST

London: Britain’s Prince Charles on Friday launched a new COVID-19 emergency appeal fund for India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka in his role as the Royal Founding Patron of the British Asian Trust, a diaspora-led development organisation for South Asia.

The 71-year-old heir to the British throne, who himself recovered from the coronavirus at the end of last month, praised Britain’s Asian community for the vital role it has been playing during the pandemic as he called for the diaspora to donate generously to help the most vulnerable in their countries of origin.

In the United Kingdom, I know that the British Asian community is playing a vital role in response to this crisis. Whether in the NHS (National Health Service) or as key workers in other roles, or through the wonderful work done by volunteers and local initiatives in temples, mosques and gurdwaras to support all members of all communities,” said the Prince of Wales, in a video message for the Trust.

“I wanted to lend my support to the launch of an emergency appeal to help those who are suffering most across India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka.

Today to play its part in responding to this pandemic, the British Asian Trust, in partnership with local organisations and governments, is ramping up its work to support the daily basic needs of the poorest and the most vulnerable,” he said.

As he appealed for donations to the new fundraiser, the royal highlighted that across South Asia an estimated 40 million children are in need and over 400 million daily workers have seen their livelihoods disappear with no form of income and no savings.

They and their families now face a fight for survival,” he said.

The Trust, founded by Prince Charles in 2007 to fight poverty across South Asia, said that without the daily work they relied on, many in the region simply do not have any money to pay for food or medicine for their loved ones during this most unprecedented crisis.

I started the British Asian Trust 13 years ago with the help of members of the British Asian community to support those in greatest need in South Asia.

Over this time, the Trust has supported nearly 5 million people with your generosity, the British Asian Trust will help those who have nowhere else to turn and offer hope to those who face the most desperate circumstances. With your help, we can make a difference, said Prince Charles.

The Trust has set up an online donation system on its website, inviting people to donate from as little as three pounds, either as a one-off donation or a monthly amount.

We have shown great togetherness and commitment for our communities here in the UK. Now, more than ever, families back in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka need you, the Trust said in reference to the new fundraiser.

Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.

Top News

Rahul Gandhi to address 2 public meetings in Karnataka tomorrow

BJP urges EC to stop Cong’s ‘Guarantee Cards’ campaign

TMC protects infiltrators, opposes CAA: PM Modi

Bengaluru: Woman cheated on pretext of marriage; complaint filed

Kerala High Court CJ hospitalised due to uneasiness during visit to Mahakaleshwar temple in MP

‘My name is Arvind Kejriwal and I’m not a terrorist’: AAP shares Delhi CM’s message from Tihar

Not found it correct to take step that could overlap legal process: EC

Related Articles More

Israel’s Defense Innovations: From Iron Dome to Arrow 3

Heavy rains set off flash floods killing 33 people in Afghanistan

Indian student shot dead in his car in Canada’s Vancouver

World cannot afford another war: UN chief Antonio Guterres on Iran’s attack on Israel

Booms and sirens in Israel after Iran launches over 200 missiles and drones in unprecedented attack

MUST WATCH

Grafting Jack Anil

Heat Illness

Dwarakish death at 81

H. D. Deve Gowda

Aura Cake shop in udupi


Latest Additions

Rahul Gandhi to address 2 public meetings in Karnataka tomorrow

BJP urges EC to stop Cong’s ‘Guarantee Cards’ campaign

EC bans Cong’s Randeep Surjewala from campaigning for 48 hrs over remarks on Hema Malini

UPSC Civil Services 2023 results declared; Aditya Srivastava secures top rank

18 Naxalites killed in encounter with security personnel in Chhattisgarh; 3 jawans hurt

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.