Cut US troops with our without Afghan peace deal: Esper


PTI, Dec 17, 2019, 11:46 AM IST

Washington: Defense Secretary Mark Esper said Monday he wants to reduce the number of US troops in Afghanistan “with or without” a peace agreement in order to give higher priority to strategic competition with China.

The Trump administration is expected to announce plans to withdraw around 4,000 troops from Afghanistan, according to US media, after peace talks resumed a week ago between the US and the Taliban.

Esper told reporters Monday that Austin Miller, the head of the NATO mission and US Forces Afghanistan, “is confident that he can go down to a lower number” of troops.

Miller “believes he can conduct all the important counter-terrorism missions and train, advise and assist” the Afghan army, Esper said on a plane as he flew back from Belgium, where he had attended the 75th anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge.

“I would like to go to a lower number because I want to either bring those troops home” to retrain for new missions or to “be redeployed to the Indo-Pacific to face off our greatest challenge in terms of the great power competition that’s vis-a-vis China,” he said.

“At the end of the day, the best solution for Afghanistan is a political agreement” between the government and the Taliban, Esper added.

“But I think we can go down with or without that political agreement,” Esper said he had not yet ordered any downsizing, noting that the decision was ultimately the responsibility of President Donald Trump.

About 13,000 US troops are currently in Afghanistan, though the number fluctuates according to rotations. Trump said last month that he planned to cut the overall troop presence to 8,600, with further reductions possible.

He also in November insisted on the need for a ceasefire and made an unannounced visit to Bagram airbase in Afghanistan to celebrate Thanksgiving with troops and meet Afghan President Ashraf Ghani.

The Republican president has previously indicated he wants to wind down US military entanglements abroad where possible.

Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.

Top News

Court rejects Prajwal Revanna’s anticipatory bail plea

World’s hottest day record broken in 24 hours

‘Trust deficit between farmers, govt’: SC proposes panel to talk to protesters at Shambhu border

Intention was to kill me, my family members: Salman Khan’s statement in charge sheet

MUDA ‘scam’: BJP to hold “day-and-night” dharna in Karnataka Assembly, Council

Shirur landslide search ops: Missing truck found submerged in Gangavali River

Got raw deal in budget, no point in attending NITI Aayog meeting, says Deputy CM Shivakumar

Related Articles More

18 killed as plane crashes during takeoff at Kathmandu airport

‘Everything will be good’: Trump tells Palestinian President ahead of Friday meeting with Netanyahu

Harris campaign raises $100 million from 1.1 million people

Trump wants to take US backwards: Kamala Harris in her address to campaign staff

Kamala Harris’ presidential campaign raises $81 million in first 24 hours

MUST WATCH

Brahma Kumaris

Tapta Mudra Dharana

Banana Farming

Aghnashini River

Dr. Rajkumar


Latest Additions

Nita Ambani re-elected unanimously as IOC member

Court rejects Prajwal Revanna’s anticipatory bail plea

World’s hottest day record broken in 24 hours

Heavy rain: Two-day school holiday declared in 6 taluks of Belagavi

Kharge’s ‘mataji’, ‘pakoda-jalebi’ jibe at FM as he raises alleged discrimination against states in Budget

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.