Defending champ Rafael Nadal to miss US Open amid pandemic


PTI, Aug 5, 2020, 11:33 AM IST

Madrid: Defending champion Rafael Nadal will skip the U.S. Open because of the coronavirus pandemic, putting on hold his bid to equal Roger Federer’s men’s record for Grand Slam titles.

Nadal explained his decision in a series of tweets sent in Spanish and English on Tuesday.

The situation is very complicated worldwide, the COVID-19 cases are increasing, it looks like we still don’t have control of it, Nadal wrote.

The 34-year-old from Spain called sitting out the tournament scheduled to begin Aug. 31 in New York a decision I never wanted to take, but added that he would rather not travel.

Rafa is one of the greatest champions in our sport and we support his decision,” U.S. Open tournament director Stacey Allaster said.

The current No. 1-ranked woman, Ash Barty, already had announced she would be missing the U.S. Open. The U.S. Tennis Association’s entry list announcements Tuesday noted that 2019 women’s champion Bianca Andreescu is in the field – at least for now; players can withdraw until the start of play – but made no mention of Nadal.

The professional tennis tours have been on hiatus since March because of the COVID-19 outbreak, with play resuming for women on Monday in Palermo, Italy. The first men’s event on the main tour is scheduled to be held later this month.

Nadal’s plan to skip the U.S. Open came shortly after the Madrid Open, scheduled for September, was canceled because of the pandemic.

We know that the reduced tennis calendar is barbaric this year after 4 months stopped with no play, Nadal wrote on Twitter.

I understand and thank for the efforts they are putting in to make it happen.

In last year’s thriller of a men’s final at Flushing Meadows, Nadal edged Daniil Medvedev 7-5, 6-3, 5-7, 4-6, 6-4 in 4 hours, 50 minutes. That gave Nadal four titles at the U.S. Open and a total of 19 across all the Grand Slam tournaments, just one away from Federer’s career mark.

Federer will be absent from the U.S. Open, too, but because of two operations on his right knee this year.

The last Grand Slam tournament contested without either Federer or Nadal was the 1999 U.S. Open – four years before Nadal made his debut at one of the sport’s four most prestigious events.

The USTA has given repeated indications it intends to go forward with the U.S. Open, despite the spikes in cases around the United States, saying in a news release last week: New York State continues to be one of the safest places in the country as it relates to the COVID-19 virus.”

That is currently true – although the area was a major U.S. hot spot early in the pandemic, so much so that a building at the U.S. Open site was used as a temporary hospital.

Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.

Top News

Bommai seeks public support as he completes six months in office on his 62nd birthday

Six girls go missing from Children’s home in Kerala; All traced to different locations in Kerala, Karnataka

Udupi: Raid on brothel, Two women rescued; Four arrested

Adityanath targets Akhilesh, calls him ‘supporter of Pakistan, worshipper of Jinnah’

Former CM B S Yediyurappa’s granddaughter found dead in Bengaluru

Total sham: HC on BBMP’s report claiming it has filled up majority potholes

B’luru: War of words between on-duty cop and legislator at Shasakara Bhavana


Related Articles More

India reports over 2.5 lakh Covid cases, 627 fatalities

Kerala witnessing Omicron wave, says Minister

48,905 new COVID-19 cases in Karnataka, 39 deaths

Should handle COVID-19 third wave with ‘total seriousness’: Thaawar Chand Gehlot

WHO: Record weekly COVID cases last week but deaths stable

MUST WATCH

BSF seizes 47kg of heroin from Gurdaspur

Telangana home guard rescue the dog stuck in overflowing stream

DIFFERENT VARIETIES OF RICE EXPLAINED

History and Significance of Barkur

Udayavani News Bulletin 27-1-2022


Latest Additions

Gearing the company towards a USD 300 million run rate: Intellect Design Arena

Bommai seeks public support as he completes six months in office on his 62nd birthday

Girl not property to be donated, HC observes in case of man giving away daughter to godman

Six girls go missing from Children’s home in Kerala; All traced to different locations in Kerala, Karnataka

Udupi: Raid on brothel, Two women rescued; Four arrested

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.