Federer, Nadal oppose Djokovic’s plan for men’s players ‘union’


PTI, Aug 30, 2020, 11:31 AM IST

Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, and other members of the ATP Player Council spoke out against a plan put forth by top-ranked Novak Djokovic and Vasek Pospisil to start a men’s only union of sorts for tennis, bringing the sport’s politics into the spotlight just before the US Open.

Also against the proposal are the ATP men’s tour and the sport’s other governing bodies, including the WTA women’s tour and the four Grand Slam tournaments.

They issued a joint statement on Saturday, August 29 saying, “It is a time for even greater collaboration, not division.”

After a meeting on Saturday night, Pospisil tweeted out a picture showing a group of male players—wearing masks because of the pandemic standing on a US Open court and wrote that “we are excited to announce the beginning of the Professional Tennis Players Association (PTPA).”

Djokovic said that the association was not a union, although the distinction wasn’t entirely clear. Pospisil wrote, “Did not emerge to be combative, to disrupt, or to cause any issues within or outside the tennis tour. Simply to unify the players, have our voices heard & have an impact on decisions being made that (affect) our lives & livelihoods.”

In an email sent to players earlier in the week, Djokovic and Pospisil they would be the initial co-presidents of the group, which would also be led by up to nine trustees—all players.

Unlike athletes in major North American team sports, tennis players are not represented by a union that collectively bargains with ownership about pay and other matters. Each tennis player is an independent contractor.

“We are not calling for boycotts. We are not forming parallel tours,” Djokovic said after winning the Western & Southern Open on Saturday, two days before play begins at the US Open.

“Of course I would love to have Roger and Rafa on board. Of course, I would love to have all the players on board. But I understand. I truly understand that some of them have different opinions and they don’t think the time is right,” Djokovic said.

Djokovic has been the president, and Pospisil a member, of the ATP Player Council, but both are resigning, as is John Isner.

Andy Murray said on Saturday that he wants to give the current ATP leadership—former player Andrea Gaudenzi took over as CEO in January, more time to work.

Murray also does not like that the PTPA would be for male players only; there was talk earlier this year about the possibility of merging the ATP and WTA.

Having a group representing men and women would send “a much more powerful message,” Murray said.

Federer and Nadal joined player council representatives Kevin Anderson, Jurgen Melzer, Sam Querrey, and Bruno Soares in sending a note to players raising questions about the proposal and saying they’re against it.

“The world is living a difficult and complicated situation. I personally believe these are times to be calm and work… all of us together in the same direction. It is time for unity, not for separation,” Nadal tweeted.

“These are moments where big things can be achieved as long as the world of tennis is united. We all, players, tournaments, and governing bodies have to work together. We have a bigger problem and separation and disunion are definitely not the solution,” he said.

Federer quote-tweeted his on-court rival to say he agrees and added, “These are uncertain and challenging times, but I believe it’s critical for us to stand united as players, and as a sport, to pave the best way forward.”

Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.

Top News

PM Modi and Russian President Putin discuss state of global energy & food markets

Senior Congress leader draws flak for remark on former PM Deve Gowda

Stolen 17th century Tamil bible traced to London after 17 years

Army, Navy begin recruitment under Agnipath scheme

Datta Peeta issue: State cabinet gives nod for appointing Hindu priest

Sindhu loses to nemesis Tai Tzu Ying, Prannoy also exits from Malaysia Open

Shivamogga: At least 40 injured as buses collide head-on


Related Articles More

Sindhu loses to nemesis Tai Tzu Ying, Prannoy also exits from Malaysia Open

Alpine launch programme to find women Formula 1 drivers by 2030

Neeraj Chopra misses 90m mark by a whisker; finishes 2nd in Stockholm Diamond League

Rahul undergoes successful surgery in Germany, could be out of action for couple of months

I want match-winning contributions from Virat even if it’s not three figure mark: Dravid

MUST WATCH

How to earn God’s grace?

NEW BULLETIN 01-07-2022

Heavy Rain Mallar Urdu school Damage

Heavy rain at kaup area

Banana cultivation : Success story of a farmer


Latest Additions

PM Modi and Russian President Putin discuss state of global energy & food markets

Senior Congress leader draws flak for remark on former PM Deve Gowda

Stolen 17th century Tamil bible traced to London after 17 years

Bantwal: Father-son duo arrested for running Illegal cattle slaughterhouse

Army, Navy begin recruitment under Agnipath scheme

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.