Fighting erupts between Armenia, Azerbaijan in disputed area


PTI, Sep 27, 2020, 4:09 PM IST

Yerevan: Fighting between Armenia and Azerbaijan broke out on Sunday around the separatist region of Nagorno-Karabakh and the Armenian Defence Ministry said two Azerbaijani helicopters were shot down.

Ministry spokeswoman Shushan Stepanyan also said Armenian forces hit three Azerbaijani tanks. There was no immediate word on casualties.

Nagorno-Karabakh is an ethnic Armenian enclave within Azerbaijan that has been out of Azerbaijan’s control since the end of a war in 1994. Both sides have a heavy military presence along a demilitarized zone separating the region from the rest of Azerbaijan.

Azerbaijan’s defence ministry denied the claim that its helicopters and tanks had been hit. But President Ilham Aliyev said in a televised address to the nation that “there are losses among the Azerbaijani forces and the civilian population as a result of the Armenian bombardment.”

Stepanyan said the fighting on Sunday began with an Azerbaijani attack, but Azerbaijan said the Armenian side attacked and that Azerbaijan launched a counteroffensive.

The news was harshly received in Turkey, a close ally of Azerbaijan.

Turkey’s ruling party spokesman Omer Celik tweeted: “We vehemently condemn Armenia’s attack on Azerbaijan. Armenia has once against committed a provocation, ignoring the law.”

He promised Turkey would stand by Azerbaijan and said, “Armenia is playing with fire and endangering regional peace.”

Turkish presidential spokesman Ibrahim Kalin also took to Twitter to condemn Armenia.

“Armenia has violated the ceasefire by attacking civilian settlements … the international community must immediately say stop to this dangerous provocation.”

Mostly mountainous Nagorno-Karabakh – a region some 4,400 square kilometres or about the size of the US state of Delaware – lies 50 kilometres from the Armenian border.

Local soldiers backed by Armenia also occupy some Azerbaijani territory outside the region.

International efforts to settle the conflict have stalled and fighting sporadically breaks out.

In July, one of the most severe outbreaks of fighting in years left 16 people from both sides dead.

Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.

Top News

No evidence of paper leak in NEET-UG: Dharmendra Pradhan

Darshan’s co-star Pradosh, aide Nagaraj arrested in Renukaswamy murder case

Wildlife smuggler arrested with 22 wildlife turtles in UP

Mumbai man complains of finding piece of flesh with nail in ice cream he ordered online

Kerala govt to provide Rs 5L assistance to kin of those from state who died in Kuwait fire

Orders to freeze bank accounts of varsities in Bihar revoked

Scoliosis – Understanding the Symptoms, Causes, and Risk Factors

Related Articles More

Skills Development Centre Marks 12 Years of Taal Yatra

Several Indians among 41 killed in Kuwait apartment blaze

More than 1.5 million foreign Muslims arrive in Mecca for annual Hajj pilgrimage

Chinese police say a suspect is in custody in the stabbing of 4 US college instructors

Indian-origin man killed in Canada; targeted killing suspected

MUST WATCH

Fire accident

Shankarapura Mallige | Jasmine Flower

Packaged Food

Sri Vishwaprasanna Tirtha Swami

H. D. Kumaraswamy


Latest Additions

Punjab BJP chief urges PM Modi to name Adampur airport after Guru Ravidas

Anger in country over NEET exam will ‘reverberate inside Parliament’: Cong slams govt

Renuka Swamy case: Pavithra Gowda did nothing wrong, says ex-husband

Cong lauds SKM for recalling ‘Mandsaur firing incident’ on Chouhan getting agriculture portfolio

No evidence of paper leak in NEET-UG: Dharmendra Pradhan

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.