Iran’s Khamenei approved Saudi strike: report


PTI, Sep 19, 2019, 12:29 PM IST

Washington: Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei approved last weekend’s attack on Saudi Arabia’s oil infrastructure, CBS News reported Wednesday, citing an unnamed US official.

The report came after US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, flying to the kingdom, called Saturday’s strikes which knocked out half of Saudi crude output an “act of war.”

CBS, without giving specifics about the US official or how they obtained the information, said Khamenei approved the attack only on condition that it be carried out in a way to deny Iranian involvement.

US officials quoted said the most damning evidence against Iran is unreleased satellite photos showing Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps making preparations for the attack at Iran’s Ahvaz air base.

The significance of those photos only became clear later, the report said. “We were caught completely off guard,” the network quoted a US official as saying.

Iranian state media said Tehran had written to Washington through the Swiss embassy on Monday, denying any role in the attacks and warning it would respond to any action against it.

Tehran-supported Huthi rebels in the kingdom’s southern neighbor Yemen have claimed responsibility, but both Washington and Riyadh have ruled that out.

A US official, speaking on condition of anonymity, earlier told AFP the US administration has concluded the attack involved cruise missiles from Iran, and said evidence would be presented at the UN General Assembly next week.

Vice President Mike Pence reiterated President Donald Trump’s comments that “we don’t want war with anybody, but the United States is prepared.”

Trump last year pulled out of a hard-won deal between Tehran and international powers that froze Iran’s nuclear program in return for the lifting of sanctions.

Washington reimposed crippling economic penalties, including against Iran’s vital oil sector, and Tehran began taking steps back from the deal.

Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.

Top News

BJP won’t go anywhere for next many decades, says Prashant Kishor; takes swipe at Rahul Gandhi

Mangaluru: 11 boats used in illegal sand mining seized

Mangaluru: Tamil Nadu fisherman missing after falling into sea off Mangaluru coast

Won’t arrest Sameer Wankhede without giving prior notice: Maha govt to HC

Javed Akhtar on FabIndia’s ‘Jashn-e-Riwaaz’ controversy: It’s crazy how people have problem with it

Chitradurga: Food safety officer caught taking Rs 8,000 bribe

Will continue our fight for making Kannada compulsory in schools and colleges: CM

Related Articles More

A monk, a student, an artist: Tortured by Myanmar military

United States issues its 1st passport with ‘X’ gender marker

India is concerned about situation in Afghanistan: Pentagon

Hindu-American culture has enriched US: Lawmakers at Congressional Diwali celebration

Rishi Sunak delivers Budget for ‘stronger’ UK economy

MUST WATCH

Basavaraj Bommai at Hubballi

Geetagayana at Kaup Beach

Karnataka rajyotsava celebrations: Mass rendition of Kannada songs at Udupi DC Office

Tiger swimming in kabini back water at mysore

Alerts for tourists visiting the Ettina Bujja


Latest Additions

New AI tool by MIT predicts how fast any technology is improving

BJP won’t go anywhere for next many decades, says Prashant Kishor; takes swipe at Rahul Gandhi

Mangaluru: 11 boats used in illegal sand mining seized

Would be great if India, Pakistan meet again in final: Saqlain Mushtaq

Rumors of Katrina Kaif-Vicky Kaushal’s wedding storm all over the internet

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.