Mamata welcomes Madras HC order, demands withdrawal of central forces who may be infected with Covid


PTI, Apr 26, 2021, 4:08 PM IST

Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Monday demanded the withdrawal of central forces to contain covid spread in West Bengal in the next phase of polling while welcoming the Madras High Courts observations that the Election Commission could not avoid blame for the spread of Covid.

“I welcome the Madras High Court order, which clearly said the EC cannot escape its responsibility. Both Prime Minister Narendra Modi and EC are responsible for the (current) situation (of Covid spreading in the state),” Banerjee alleged at workers meeting in North Kolkata where party candidates and workers were present.

Earlier on Monday, Madras High Court had lashed out at the Election Commission over the conduct of Assembly polls amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. A bench comprising Chief Justice Sanjib Banerjee and Justice S Ramamoorthy termed the EC as most irresponsible while hearing a public interest writ seeking directions to ensure fair counting of votes on May 2 in Karur by taking steps to ensure adherence to Covid-19 protocols.

“I am requesting please withdraw the around 2 lakh- strong central forces drawn from covid-hit states, who are camping in schools and colleges and safe homes hampering covid management operations 75 percent of them may be infected by the virus. Please withdraw them in the last phase, ” she said.

Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.

Top News

Truth will prevail in court: Vijayendra on POCSO case against father Yediyurappa

Karnataka DyCM rubbishes reports of pressure on Govt to favour actor Darshan in murder case

‘Bakra Mela’ near Jama Masjid becomes hub of goat shopping prices as high as Rs 10 lakh

Delhi LG grants prosecution sanction against Arundhati Roy under UAPA: Officials

J&K terror attacks: Home Minister Amit Shah calls for high-level meet on June 16

It will be “good” if Yediyurappa appears before CID in POCSO case soon, says Home Minister

Karnataka Home Minister denies reports actor Darshan getting “royal treatment” at police station

Related Articles More

Over 1,200 tourists stranded due to landslides rain in Sikkim; CM takes stock of situation

‘Bakra Mela’ near Jama Masjid becomes hub of goat shopping prices as high as Rs 10 lakh

Rajat Sharma files defamation suit against Cong leaders Ragini Nayak, Ramesh, Khera

Five killed, 20 injured as tractor-trolley carrying devotees overturns in MP

Delhi LG grants prosecution sanction against Arundhati Roy under UAPA: Officials

MUST WATCH

Udupi accident

Senior Congress MLA CS Nadagouda

Ghataprabha River

Fire accident

Shankarapura Mallige | Jasmine Flower


Latest Additions

Over 1,200 tourists stranded due to landslides rain in Sikkim; CM takes stock of situation

Truth will prevail in court: Vijayendra on POCSO case against father Yediyurappa

Karnataka DyCM rubbishes reports of pressure on Govt to favour actor Darshan in murder case

PM Modi, Pope Francis embrace at G7 Summit Outreach session

Kaup: Unidentified woman found dead on railway track

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.