Netanyahu tests truce proposal, says won’t agree to deal that ends Gaza war


PTI, Jun 24, 2024, 2:52 PM IST

The viability of a US-backed proposal to wind down the 8-month-long war in Gaza was cast into doubt on Monday after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he would only be willing to agree to a partial cease-fire deal that would not end the war, comments that sparked an uproar from families of hostages held by Hamas.

In an interview broadcast late Sunday on Israeli Channel 14, a conservative, pro-Netanyahu station, the Israeli leader said he was prepared to make a partial deal — this is no secret that will return to us some of the people, referring to the roughly 120 hostages still held in the Gaza Strip. But we are committed to continuing the war after a pause, in order to complete the goal of eliminating Hamas. I’m not willing to give up on that.

Netanyahu’s comments did not deviate dramatically from what he has said previously about his terms for a deal. But they come at a sensitive time as Israel and Hamas appear to be moving further apart over the latest cease-fire proposal, and they could represent another setback for mediators trying to end the war.

Netanyahu’s comments stood in sharp contrast to the outlines of the deal detailed late last month by US President Joe Biden, who framed the plan as an Israeli one and which some in Israel refer to as Netanyahu’s deal. His remarks could further strain Israel’s ties to the US, its top ally, which launched a major diplomatic push for the latest cease-fire proposal.

The three-phased plan would bring about the release of the remaining hostages in exchange for hundreds of Palestinians imprisoned by Israel. But disputes and mistrust persist between Israel and Hamas over how the deal plays out.

Hamas has insisted it will not release the remaining hostages unless there’s a permanent cease-fire and a full withdrawal of Israeli forces from Gaza. When Biden announced the latest proposal last month, he said it included both.

But Netanyahu says Israel is still committed to destroying Hamas’ military and governing capabilities, and ensuring it can never again carry out an Oct 7-style assault. A full withdrawal of Israeli forces from Gaza, where Hamas’ top leadership and much of its forces are still intact, would almost certainly leave the group in control of the territory and able to rearm. In the interview, Netanyahu said that the current phase of fighting is ending, but that didn’t mean the war was over.

During the initial six-week phase, the sides are supposed to negotiate an agreement on the second phase, which Biden said would include the release of all remaining living hostages, including male soldiers, and Israel’s full withdrawal from Gaza. The temporary cease-fire would become permanent.

Hamas appears concerned that Israel will resume the war once its most vulnerable hostages are returned. And even if it doesn’t, Israel could make demands in that stage of negotiations that were not part of the initial deal and are unacceptable to Hamas and then resume the war when Hamas refuses them.

Netanyahu’s remarks reinforced that concern. After they were aired, Hamas said they represented unmistakable confirmation of his rejection of the US-supported deal, which also received the backing of the United Nations’ Security Council.

In a statement late Sunday after Netanyahu’s lengthy TV interview, the Palestinian militant group said his position was in contrast to what the US administration said that Israel had approved. The group said that its insistence that any deal should include a permanent cease-fire and the withdrawal of all Israeli forces out of the entire Gaza Strip was an inevitable necessity to block Netanyahu’s attempts of evasion, deception, and perpetuation of aggression and the war of extermination against our people.

Netanyahu shot back and in a statement from his office said Hamas opposed a deal. He said Israel would not withdraw from Gaza until all 120 hostages are returned.

Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.

Top News

14-hour work day in IT sector: Employees union slams Karnataka govt’s plans

J&K: Terrorists fire at security post in Rajouri; search operation launched

Donald Trump says ‘crooked’ Joe Biden is ‘not fit to serve’; son attacks Kamala Harris

Disability rights activists criticise Amitabh Kant, IAS officer over their remarks on quota

Masked miscreants sneak into state-sponsored shelter in Gwalior, take away girl

PhonePe CEO Sameer Nigam issues apology amid backlash over Karnataka job quota remarks

Gujarat reports 13 new suspected Chandipura virus cases, 5 fatalities

Related Articles More

Donald Trump says ‘crooked’ Joe Biden is ‘not fit to serve’; son attacks Kamala Harris

Honoured by Biden’s endorsement, aim to defeat Trump and his extreme Project 2025 agenda: Kamala Harris

US presidential elections 2024: Joe Biden opts out of race, nominates Kamala Harris as Democratic Party’s new nominee

Donald Trump says he ‘took a bullet for democracy’

Guatemalan activist, Mexican politician conferred Gandhi-Mandela Award

MUST WATCH

Brahma Kumaris

Tapta Mudra Dharana

Banana Farming

Aghnashini River

Dr. Rajkumar


Latest Additions

Paris ready to host summer Olympic Games for the 3rd Time

14-hour work day in IT sector: Employees union slams Karnataka govt’s plans

Kambala committee to meet CM over funding issue

Only Rs 6 crore released for Parashurama Theme Park: MLA Sunil Kumar

J&K: Terrorists fire at security post in Rajouri; search operation launched

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.