New deaths as fighting over Nagorno-Karabakh keeps flaring


PTI, Oct 28, 2020, 6:25 PM IST

Yerevan: Deadly fighting between Armenian and Azerbaijani forces over the separatist region of Nagorno-Karabakh showed no signs of abating Wednesday despite a US-brokered cease-fire that took force just two days ago and has so far failed to halt the flare-up of a decades-old conflict.

Nagorno-Karabakh officials said Azerbaijani forces hit Stepanakert, the region’s capital, and the nearby town of Shushi with the Smerch long-range multiple rocket systems, a devastating Soviet-designed weapon intended to ravage wide areas with explosives and cluster munitions.

One civilian was killed in Shushi and two more were wounded, officials said.

Azerbaijani Defense Ministry rejected the accusations and in turn accused Armenian forces in using the Smerch multiple rocket system to fire at the Azerbaijani towns of Terter and Barda.

The strike on Barda killed 14 people and wounded over 40, Azerbaijani authorities said.

Armenian Defense Ministry spokeswoman Shushan Stepanian called accusations of striking Barda “groundless and false.”

Nagorno-Karabakh lies within Azerbaijan but has been under the control of ethnic Armenian forces backed by Armenia since a war there ended in 1994. By then, Armenian forces not only held Nagorno-Karabakh itself but also captured substantial areas outside the territory’s borders.

The latest fighting, which began on September 27, has involved heavy artillery, rockets and drones, in the largest escalation of hostilities over the separatist region in the quarter-century since the war ended. Hundreds, and possibly thousands of people, have been killed in the fighting.

The deadly clashes continued for over a month despite numerous calls for peace and three attempts at establishing a ceasefire.

The latest truce began Monday, after talks facilitated by the United States, and came after two failed attempts by Russia to broker a lasting truce.

All three cease-fire agreements were immediately challenged by reports of violations from both sides.

According to Nagorno-Karabakh officials, 1,068 of their troops and 39 civilians have been killed in the clashes so far, while 122 civilians have been wounded.

Azerbaijani authorities haven’t disclosed their military losses, but say the fighting has killed 69 civilians and wounded 322.

Russian President Vladimir Putin said last week that, according to Moscow’s information, the death toll from the fighting was nearing 5,000, significantly higher than what both sides report.

Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.

Top News

413 new COVID-19 cases, 4 deaths in Karnataka

Mangaluru: Rickshaw driver suffers massive heart attack while driving; dies

Seven detained over bid to disrupt Friday ‘namaz’ in Gurugram

CJI sends proposal to set up National Judicial Infrastructure Authority of India

Rahul accuses PM of being ‘insensitive’ for not paying compensation to kin of deceased farmers

Will follow a ‘ships first’ approach; Karwar’s Project Seabird ‘most important’ infra project : Navy chief

70% drop in AC travel among railway passengers in 2020-21 due to COVID-19: Govt


Related Articles More

What are the rules for travellers entering the US?

Official abusing visa seeker: Indian-American community demands toll-free helpline for diaspora

New York confirms at least 5 omicron cases

Gita Gopinath to take on new role at IMF as First Deputy Managing Director

Pakistan summons Indian diplomat; says model’s ‘bareheaded’ photoshoot at Kartarpur ‘isolated incident’

MUST WATCH

HIGH PROFILE CM MEETING ON OMICRON VIRUS

Udayavani news bulletin 03-12-2021

NEW UDAYAVANI PODCAST SERIES ANNOUNCEMENT

UPDATE ON OMICRON VIRUS

Govt Employee Runs After Goat As Eats His Papers video got viral


Latest Additions

413 new COVID-19 cases, 4 deaths in Karnataka

Mangaluru: Rickshaw driver suffers massive heart attack while driving; dies

Air India disinvestment: Union moves HC on employees’ welfare

Seven detained over bid to disrupt Friday ‘namaz’ in Gurugram

CJI sends proposal to set up National Judicial Infrastructure Authority of India

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.