NIA court convicts 10 people, acquits one in 2013 Patna serial blasts that left six dead


PTI, Oct 27, 2021, 6:45 PM IST

A special NIA court on Wednesday convicted 10 people in connection with the 2013 serial blasts that left six dead and scores injured at the venue here of a political rally of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who was then the chief minister of Gujarat.

Special NIA judge Gurvinder Mehrotra, who passed the order, also acquitted one of the accused for want of evidence.

“The NIA had submitted charge-sheets against 11 people in the course of investigation. Of these, one was a minor and his case was referred to the juvenile justice board. The remaining were put on trial.

“Today, all but one were convicted. The quantum of sentence will be pronounced on November 1,” Special Public Prosecutor Lalan Prasad Singh, who appeared for the probe agency, told PTI-Bhasha.

Those who were pronounced guilty are Imtiaz Ansari, Mujibullah, Haider Ali, Firoz Aslam, Omar Ansari, Iftekhar, Ahmed Husain, Umair Siddiqui and Azharuddin. The court acquitted Fakhruddin, he added.

The blasts had taken place at the Gandhi Maidan on October 27, 2013 when the BJP’s ‘Hunkar Rally’ addressed by Modi, who had been declared the party’s prime ministerial candidate, was underway.

The explosions and the ensuing stampede had claimed six lives, while scores were injured.

Although no terror outfit claimed responsibility for the serial blasts, the involvement of SIMI and its new avatar, the Indian Mujahideen, was suspected.

Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.

Top News

Truth will prevail in court: Vijayendra on POCSO case against father Yediyurappa

Karnataka DyCM rubbishes reports of pressure on Govt to favour actor Darshan in murder case

‘Bakra Mela’ near Jama Masjid becomes hub of goat shopping prices as high as Rs 10 lakh

Delhi LG grants prosecution sanction against Arundhati Roy under UAPA: Officials

J&K terror attacks: Home Minister Amit Shah calls for high-level meet on June 16

It will be “good” if Yediyurappa appears before CID in POCSO case soon, says Home Minister

Karnataka Home Minister denies reports actor Darshan getting “royal treatment” at police station

Related Articles More

Over 1,200 tourists stranded due to landslides rain in Sikkim; CM takes stock of situation

‘Bakra Mela’ near Jama Masjid becomes hub of goat shopping prices as high as Rs 10 lakh

Rajat Sharma files defamation suit against Cong leaders Ragini Nayak, Ramesh, Khera

Five killed, 20 injured as tractor-trolley carrying devotees overturns in MP

Delhi LG grants prosecution sanction against Arundhati Roy under UAPA: Officials

MUST WATCH

Udupi accident

Senior Congress MLA CS Nadagouda

Ghataprabha River

Fire accident

Shankarapura Mallige | Jasmine Flower


Latest Additions

Over 1,200 tourists stranded due to landslides rain in Sikkim; CM takes stock of situation

Truth will prevail in court: Vijayendra on POCSO case against father Yediyurappa

Karnataka DyCM rubbishes reports of pressure on Govt to favour actor Darshan in murder case

PM Modi, Pope Francis embrace at G7 Summit Outreach session

Kaup: Unidentified woman found dead on railway track

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.