Rafael Nadal out of Toronto tournament because of left foot


PTI, Aug 11, 2021, 10:10 AM IST

Image Credit: Flickr

Toronto: Rafael Nadal pulled out of the National Bank Open on Tuesday because of an injured left foot that has troubled him for months, putting his preparation for the U.S. Open on hold.

The 20-time Grand Slam champion was replaced in the draw at the hard-court tournament in Toronto by Feliciano Lopez, who lost in qualifying.

”I need to go back and try to find a way to be better again, no? At the end of the day, for me, the most important thing is (to) enjoy playing tennis. Today, with this pain, I am not able to enjoy it,” said Nadal, a five-time champion in Canada. ”And I really don’t believe that I have chances to fight for the things that I really need to fight for.” The 35-year-old from Spain played last week at the hard-court event in Washington, winning his first match against Jack Sock and losing his second to Lloyd Harris — both in three sets. Nadal was bothered by the foot there.

That marked his first competition in about two months. After losing to Novak Djokovic in the semifinals of the French Open on June 11, Nadal sat out Wimbledon and the Tokyo Olympics because of the injury and went about three weeks without practicing at all.

In Washington, Nadal said Tuesday, ”I was suffering, especially in that first match. And I was suffering on the practices, too, but you always expect an improvement.” The U.S. Open starts on Aug. 30 in New York.

Nadal missed that tournament last year but won it the last time he entered, in 2019.

Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.

Top News

9 lakh govt vehicles, buses older than 15 years to go off the road from Apr 1, says Gadkari

Constitutional status for Tulu: Committee led by Dr Mohan Alva formed, says Min Sunil Kumar

Budget session from Tuesday, President Murmu to address joint sitting of two Houses

PM to inaugurate India Energy Week on February 6 in Bengaluru

Tulu actor Aravind Bolar injured in road accident

Bengaluru to host first G20 Energy Transition Working Group meeting under India’s presidency

9 lakh govt vehicles, buses older than 15 yrs to be scrapped from Apr 1: Gadkari


Related Articles More

Indian men’s hockey team chief coach Graham Reid resigns

I see three to four members of Women’s U-19 WC squad graduating to highest level: Mithali Raj

Spinners revel on Lucknow turner as India pull off nervy win over NZ to level series

Congratulations pour in for Team India as they lift U-19 women’s T20 World Cup

India win inaugural Women’s U-19 T20 World Cup with thumping win over England

MUST WATCH

Kollur Mookambika to get new Ratha after 400years

Villagers election boycott warning for road

Sand art | Malpe Beach Uthsava 2023 | Udupi – Udayavani

Various competitions, activities in Beach Utsava!

Melody King Rajesh Krishnan


Latest Additions

Guj court convicts self-styled godman Asaram Bapu in rape case filed in 2013

SC upholds NCLAT order on payment of dues to former employees of Jet Airways

Birthday party shooting in South Africa kills 8, injures 3

Ullal: Two killed, 2 more injured in horrific accident near Kolya

9 lakh govt vehicles, buses older than 15 years to go off the road from Apr 1, says Gadkari

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.