Tibetan political leader visits White House for first time in 6 decades


PTI, Nov 21, 2020, 5:34 PM IST

Washington: The head of the Tibetan government in exile has visited the White House for the first time in six decades, the Central Tibetan Administration (CTA) said on Saturday, a move that could further enrage Beijing, which has accused the US of trying to interfere in China’s internal affairs.

Dr Lobsang Sangay entered the United States White House on Friday — a historic feat. This is the first time in the last 6 decades the head of the Central Tibetan Administration (CTA) has been invited into the White House, the CTA said in a statement.

“It is a great honour to be the first political head of the Central Tibetan Administration to formally enter the White House,” Sangay said in a tweet.

“Today’s visit amounts to an acknowledgement of both the democratic system of the CTA and its political head… This unprecedented meeting perhaps will set an optimistic tone for CTA participation with US officials and be more formalised in the coming years,” said the CTA, which is based in Dharamshala in India.

Sangay, the President of the Central Tibetan Administration (CTA), was invited to the White House to meet the newly appointed US Special Coordinator for Tibetan Issues, Robert Destro, on Friday, it said.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on October 15 named senior diplomat Destro as Special Coordinator for Tibetan issues, who, among other matters, would focus on advancing dialogue between the Communist government in China and the Dalai Lama.

Announcing Destro’s appointment, Pompeo said it was consistent with the Tibetan Policy Act and he will lead the US efforts to promote dialogue between China and the Dalai Lama or his representatives; protect the unique religious, cultural and linguistic identity of Tibetans; and press for their human rights to be respected.

China has criticised Destro’s appointment, saying it amounted to political manipulation aimed at destabilising Tibet.

After Destro’s appointment, Sangay met him and discussed the situation in Tibet.

Asked about the Destro-Sangay meeting, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian told a media briefing here last month: “Xizang’s (Tibet’s) affairs (are) purely China’s internal affairs. No external forces shall interfere in them”.

Unlike in the past, the Chinese officials in recent times have been referring to Tibet only as Xizang.

“Appointing the so-called special coordinator for Tibetan issues is a political move to interfere in China’s internal affairs and sabotage Xizang’s stability. It is China’s consistent position we firmly oppose that and we will not acknowledge that. We have lodged stern representation to the US side,” he said.

China firmly opposes any official exchanges between countries having diplomatic ties with China and Taiwan or signing any official documents, he said.

Beijing views the Dalai Lama as a splittist who is working with foreign forces to separate Tibet from China.

“Today, the House sent a strong message with the passage of resolutions calling for the end of China’s human rights abuses. The House on a bipartisan basis will always fight for freedom of religion & culture in Tibet and for the rule of law in Hong Kong,” US House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi tweeted on Thursday.

In his address to a key meeting on Tibet in August, Chinese President Xi Jinping called for building a “new modern socialist” Tibet, constructing an “impregnable wall” against separatism in the sensitive Himalayan region and “sinicisation” of the Tibetan Buddhism.

Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.

Top News

China’s PLA says Arunachal boy ‘found’, process of handing over to Indian Army on: Sources

Sindhu wins Syed Modi International badminton title

UK lawmaker claims she was fired over her Muslim faith

Netaji’s statue to be relocated to front side of Vidhana Soudha: CM

Bengaluru: Man arrested for stealing bikes and gifting them to relatives

Sanitary napkins provided to boys in Bihar school

Karnataka achieves 100 pc first dose COVID vaccine coverage: Min Sudhakar


Related Articles More

UK lawmaker claims she was fired over her Muslim faith

‘Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose is as much a part of Singapore’s history as of India’s’

Don’t go near them, say US cops after 4 lab monkeys escape from truck

Vaccine passport protests in Europe draw thousands of people

“So tragic”: Canadian PM after Indian family of 4 freezes to death near border

MUST WATCH

No Road Facility at Holekudige village

HISTORY OF BARKUR’S KATTALE BASADI

M’luru: Car trailer falls into roadside ditch near Thokkottu; traffic affected

THIEF FALLS OFF FROM THE BUILDING WHILE ESCAPING

King Cobra Rescue in Sringeri


Latest Additions

Injustice done to Bengal by rejecting Netaji tableau, Centre failed to solve disappearance mystery: CM

ULFA (I) refrains from calling bandh on R-Day, Himanta says such gestures may lead to talks

India Inc staring at ‘integrity crisis’, top management ought to act: Survey

Navjot Sidhu’s principal strategic advisor Mustafa booked for ‘communal’ remarks

Bhatnagar-Crasto win Syed Modi mixed doubles title

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.