- Tuesday 18 Feb 2020
Trump uses Scotland Yard IT service hack to attack London Mayor
Team Udayavani, Jul 20, 2019, 6:58 PM IST
Image for Representation
London: US President Donald Trump on Saturday used a brief hack into Scotland Yard’s news and Twitter service to reopen his feud with London Mayor Sadiq Khan, blaming him for the breach.
A series of bizarre messages from the official news website and Twitter were sent out to more than a million followers of the Metropolitan Police accounts overnight on Friday.
“With the incompetent Mayor of London, you will never have safe streets,” Trump said, alongside a retweet of a Twitter message related to the hack.
The US president and Khan have repeatedly clashed in the past, exchanging Twitter barbs against each other.
The Met Police clarified in a statement that there had been no hack of the Met Police’s own IT infrastructure but that the breach was linked with a third-party news service it uses.
We are assessing to establish what criminal offences have been committed, the force said in a statement.
It adds: The Met Police Press Bureau uses an online provider called MyNewsDesk to issue news releases and other content. When a story is published via MyNewsDesk, it appears on the Met’s website and Twitter accounts and generates an email to those who’ve subscribed to receive our news updates.
“On Friday (July 19), unauthorised messages appeared on the news section of our website as well as on the @metpoliceuk Twitter feed and in emails sent to subscribers.
The Met police said it has begun making changes to its access arrangements to MyNewsDesk.
The bizarre Tweets, which have subsequently been deleted, contained offensive language and mentioned the names of several people. The posts also linked to press releases regarding the rapper Digga D and an apparent missing child.
Beijing: India will send a consignment of medical supplies on a relief flight to Wuhan city later this week to support China in combating the deadly c....
Montreal: Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau canceled an official visit to the Caribbean at the last minute due to indigenous protests that have p....
Dubai: A 32-year-old Indian man has died in the UAE after sustaining severe burn injuries in his bid to save his wife from a fire at their home in Abu....
Beijing: China reported 105 new deaths due to the new coronavirus on Monday, pushing the overall death toll to 1,770, as officials announced stringent....
Karachi: At least four people died and 15 were hospitalized after inhaling toxic gases emanating from a vegetable container in Pakistan's port city Ka....
Wellington: Fast bowler Navdeep Saini said representing India was a life-changing moment for him and he would look to continue his dream of playing at....
Dubai: Indian tennis star Sania Mirza will return to action at the ongoing Dubai Open on Wednesday after recovering from a calf injury which had cut s....
New Delhi: A total of 68 Air India crew members, who were part of the two special flights that evacuated 647 Indians and seven Maldivians from the cor....
Tokyo: The Indian embassy here on Monday said the four Indians infected with the novel coronavirus on board the quarantined cruise ship moored off the....
Bengaluru: A KSRTC bus conductor sexually harassed a woman passenger in the bus and the video of the same went viral on social media. Reportedly, t....