Udayavni Special

US notifies UN of withdrawal from World Health Organization


PTI, Jul 8, 2020, 7:18 AM IST

Washington: The Trump administration has formally notified the United Nations of its withdrawal from the World Health Organization, although the pullout won”t take effect until next year, meaning it could be rescinded under a new administration of if circumstances change.

The withdrawal notification, delivered on Monday, makes good on President Donald Trump”s vow in late May to terminate US participation in the WHO, which he has harshly criticized for its response to the coronavirus pandemic and accused of bowing to Chinese influence. The move was immediately assailed by health officials and critics of the administration.

The withdrawal notice was sent to UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday and will take effect in a year, on July 6, 2021, the State Department and the United Nations said on Tuesday.

Guterres, in his capacity as depositary of the 1946 WHO constitution, “is in the process of verifying with the World Health Organization whether all the conditions for such withdrawal are met,” his spokesman, Stephane Dujarric, said.

Under the terms of the withdrawal, the US must meet its financial obligations to the WHO before it can be finalized. The US, which is the agency”s largest donor and provides it with more than USD 400 million per year, currently owes the WHO some USD 200 million in current and past dues.

In late May, less than two weeks after warning the WHO that it had 30 days to reform or lose US support, Trump announced his administration was leaving the organization due to what he said was its inadequate response to the initial outbreak of the coronavirus in China”s Wuhan province late last year.

The president said in a White House announcement that Chinese officials “ignored” their reporting obligations to the WHO and pressured the organization to mislead the public about an outbreak that has now killed more than 130,000 Americans.

“We have detailed the reforms that it must make and engaged with them directly, but they have refused to act,” Trump said at the time. “Because they have failed to make the requested and greatly needed reforms, we will be today terminating the relationship.”

The withdrawal notification was widely denounced as misguided, certain to undermine an important institution that is leading vaccine development efforts and drug trials to address the COVID-19 outbreak.

“The administration”s move to formally withdraw from WHO amid the greatest public health crisis that Americans and the world have faced in a century is short-sighted, unnecessary, and unequivocally dangerous,” said UN Foundation President Elizabeth Cousens.

“WHO is the only body capable of leading and coordinating the global response to COVID-19. Terminating the US relationship would undermine the global effort to beat this virus — putting all of us at risk.” The ONE Campaign, which supports international health projects, called it an “astounding action” that jeopardizes global health.

“Withdrawing from the World Health Organization amidst an unprecedented global pandemic is an astounding action that puts the safety of all Americans and the world at risk.

The US should use its influence to strengthen and reform the WHO, not abandon it at a time when the world needs it most,” ONE president Gayle Smith said.

Top News

GoAir told to pay daily to use AAI airports from August 11

Former president Pranab Mukherjee undergoes brain surgery at Army’s RR hospital

K’taka COVID-19 update: 4267 new cases; 5218 discharges; 114 deaths on Aug 10

Govt has betrayed ‘Corona Warriors’: Rahul Gandhi

SSLC results: Auto driver’s son, girl who studied through tele-classes are State toppers

BS Yediyurappa discharged from Hospital

Several BJP workers in Kashmir resign after attacks by militants



Related Articles More

Lebanese government resigns after Beirut blast, public anger

5 killed, 10 injured in blast in Pak town bordering on Afghanistan

Belarus’ president wins sixth term with over 80% of votes

Israeli jeweler makes USD 1.5m gold COVID-19 mask

COVID-19: Europe takes precautionary measures as US crosses 5 million confirmed cases

MUST WATCH

Karnataka SSLC Results 2020 Declared | Udayavani

Belthangady : A massive landslide near Mittagabilu village

SSLC results: Nidhi Rao from DK dist amongst second toppers in state

Dr. Dhananjay KVK | Narendra Modi words about Agriculture | Highlights

Ravi Karkala | How to Cultivate Good Quality Mushroom | Udayavani

Latest Additions

BEML’s industrial design centre opened by Defence Minister

Boy who wrote SSLC exam with his toes gets first class

GoAir told to pay daily to use AAI airports from August 11

My fight is of principles never hankered after any post: Sachin Pilot

PCB to challenge Umar Akmal’s ban reduction in CAS

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.