WHO denies report of pressure from China to withhold COVID-19 info


Team Udayavani, May 11, 2020, 7:42 AM IST

Berlin: The World Health Organisation has dismissed as false allegations a media report that it withheld information about the new coronavirus following pressure from China.

The UN agency said in a statement late Saturday that a German magazine’s report about a telephone conversation between WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus and Chinese President Xi Jinping on January 21 was unfounded and untrue.

Weekly Der Spiegel reported that Xi asked Tedros during the call to hold back information about human-to-human transmission of the virus and delay declaring a pandemic.

The magazine quoted Germany’s foreign intelligence agency, BND, which declined to comment on Sunday.

Der Spiegel also claimed that the BND concluded up to six weeks of time to fight the outbreak had been lost due to China’s information policy.

The UN agency said Tedros and Xi have never spoken by phone and added that such inaccurate reports distract and detract from WHO’s and the world’s efforts to end the COVID-19 pandemic.

It said that China confirmed human-to-human transmission of the new coronavirus on January 20.

WHO officials issued a statement two days later saying there was evidence of human-to-human transmission in Wuhan, but more investigation was necessary.

The global body declared COVID-19 a pandemic on February 11.

US President Donald Trump has been among the strongest critics of WHO’s handling of the pandemic, accusing it of deference to China and ceasing payments to the agency.

Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.

Top News

Aircraft carrier Vikrant completes third sea trials, returns to Kochi harbour

Bihar ruling allies BJP, JD(U) spar over Emperor Asoka controversy

Clarify stand on marital rape criminalisation: Delhi HC tells Centre

Udupi Paryaya to be held without fanfare

Petrol, diesel sales fall in Jan as Omicron spreads

Mysuru: Six arrested for thrashing Dalit family for eating ‘panipuri’

JK admin takes back Kashmir Press Club premises, says it has ‘ceased to exist’


Related Articles More

Experts foresee COVID peak on Jan 25 in Karnataka: Minister R Ashoka

34,047 Covid-19 cases, 13 deaths reported in Karnataka

Kerala clocks 18,123 new coronavirus cases

One year on, vaccines still most acceptable weapon against COVID-19

Tech in Covid battle: Karnataka model to entire country, says Sudhakar

MUST WATCH

Night Curfew : Shops, stall will close before 10pm(jan 17)

NEWS BULLETIN 17-01-2022

THE HISTORY OF KRISHNAPURA MUTT SWAMIJI

DOCTOR BEATS UP A VEGETABLE VENDOR

Vidyasagara Teertha Swamiji Paryaya Message


Latest Additions

Aircraft carrier Vikrant completes third sea trials, returns to Kochi harbour

Bihar ruling allies BJP, JD(U) spar over Emperor Asoka controversy

Clarify stand on marital rape criminalisation: Delhi HC tells Centre

Udupi Paryaya to be held without fanfare

Petrol, diesel sales fall in Jan as Omicron spreads

Thanks for visiting Udayavani

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.
To continue reading, please turn it off or whitelist Udayavani.